Password Options
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

I'm trying to change my internet password.  When I go to the change password page it says:

" Your new password must have a minimum of six characters (letters/numbers/symbols)."

But, if I try to use anything other than letters or numbers, i.e., symbols, I get an error message that says I can't use spaces or special characters.  I don't try using spaces, but what "symbols" are not special characters??

A password made up of only numbers and letters is fairly insecure and I would like to use symbols, but I really need to know the difference between symbols and special characters.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Password Options
Roadking10453
Contributor - Level 1

I pulled this from the IHA about resetting the router password for example:

the password cannot begin with characters such as "?!@#$%^*&

with that in mind, I would also take it to be that those are the allowed symbols

worth a try eh

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

Tried a new password starting with a letter, but also used some of the characters you listed. 

Still got the same error message that special characters can't be used.

0 Likes
Roadking10453
Contributor - Level 1

hhhmmm...They have have a restriction on how many you can use in a password string? dunno

Try just using 1 or 2 of them max and see if that works.

I do know ya can't use spaces, ever...systems can't parse past a space for passwords as that's a common delimiter for the end of a string and the beginning of the next.

I've used !#%^*& successfully on other systems. The ? is dodgy so I avoid that one...so are the # and @ symbols.

Good luck!

tns
Master - Level 2

Not sure about the verizon rules. but many pasword systems limit what symbols they allow.

For example for years the national characters were the only ones allowed on IBM systems (@#$_) .   And the underscore (_) was not allowed at the beginning or end.   Many other examples of limited choice of characters exist.

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

It seems that I can't use any of the symbols anywhere in the password.  If I do I get an the error message about not using any special characters. 

It sure would be nice to know why the instructions say to use symbols if the password change program won't let you use them.

0 Likes
Roadking10453
Contributor - Level 1

yeah, no kiddin right...so, just for grins, try using periods...i've had success with that in the past...but other than just searching around in here as to what their rules are, none of us probably have a clue...sorry!  😞

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

I see where others say they have been able to use at least one symbol (!@#$%&*+). Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

0 Likes