Paying for Fast DSL, getting nothing...very unhappy.
CaptSteve2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello - I have been a DSL customer for many years.  I originally had the regular DSL service which got slower and slower until I called.  After many go-rounds with tech support I escalated the issue to Corporate and then it was discovered that the Verizon router (not the one in my home, the one in your office) was overloaded.  They switched me to a new one and my speed went up dramatically.

Another several months went by and I slowed down again... then Verizon convinced me to upgrade to the more expensive 3mb speed service.  When they switched me to that service my speed was slower than before.  After many many more go-rounds with tech support and another escalation to corporate, they found that the new router (at verizon, not my house) was also overloaded, but it was the only one they had.  I was told to wait for it to improve.

Another year has gone by and my speeds are now so slow that my Verizon Wireless MiFi is more than 3x faster than my home DSL.

Can you help me to get someone to look at the connection on the Verizon side and see what can be done to fix my slow connection?  I am regularly getting download speeds of .3-.5mb and upload speeds of .1mb (I use speakeasy.net/speedtest which was recommended by Verizon tech support).

By the way:

1) my computer setup and configuration at home is fine (your tech support has checked it at least 6 times)

2) I have not changed anything on my end

3) my DSL filters are all fine, and Verizon has verified that my phone line is squeaky clean and perfect

If you cannot fix this, may I please go back to the slower speed service and get a refund for the fees charged for a service that I never received?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
Re: Paying for Fast DSL, getting nothing...very unhappy.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
We'll see where the connection issue is first of all. While I do believe your line may be working fine, it's always best to check the Transceiver Statistics to make sure it's working fine. If you tell us which modem you have, we can help you get those statistics if you don't know how to obtain them. For the congestion issue, do the slow speeds happen all the time, or are they only occurring during certain times of the day, such as during the evening hours?

Other than that, you're always free to downgrade the DSL speed. It's just a matter of dealing with Billing in that aspect.
CaptSteve2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, good thinking. I called billing yesterday and they got tech support in a 3 way call.  Tech support said that the line was excellent, but there was no throughput.  They ran speed tests which all showed speeds of 300k down and 10k up.  Billing switched me to the lower speed plan since I wasn't getting high speed anyway.

...and then things got worse.

About an hour after the phone call, my service stopped entirely.  I have DSL connection, but can't even get to google.com.  Email times out.  Once in a while I'll get enough throughput to get a web page, but then nothing for hours.  I've reset the modem, renewed the IP address, rebooted, emptied the diswasher, you name it.

I was on the phone with tech support for quite a while today.  They ran line tests and found a good signal again, but nothing going through.  I told them that it must be on the Local Office side since that's where the change was made.  I suspect that the DSLAM is either acting up or overloaded.  I have a friend with Verizon Business DSL getting 5mb speeds, so I know it's possible.

Supposedly a network tech is looking at my line (for the last 6 hours) and will call me if they can figure out what's wrong.

Very disappointing - I am a loyal Verizon customer, but I may be forced to get internet over cable if they can't figure this one out.

0 Likes
CaptSteve2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here are my test results:

Broadband Speed Test
Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [64512]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 431.49Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 131.73kb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_20

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 65340 bytes.
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 124.99 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 53 packets retransmitted, 0 duplicate acks received, and 0 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 2 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 0.7 seconds (4.37%) of the time
This connection is sender limited 22.24% of the time.
This connection is network limited 77.75% of the time.
Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says {edited for privacy} but Client says [192.168.1.47]

0 Likes
CaptSteve2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spoke with Verizon at length today.  They identified some kind of problem on my line and said they would email the ticket number to me and escalate to network engineering.  I called from home to confirm and to run speed tests and they said that now it will take 48 hours for a network engineer to look at the ticket, and they are no longer answering their phones (only accepting instant messages).

I reset the modem myself, reconfigured it for DHCP, and ran the installation software.  Working much better now.  Verizon still doesn't know why.

(Sigh)

0 Likes