Performance is Up and Down - Need Help!!
gizmojlc

Comcast ticked me off for a variety of reasons and now I have moved to Vz High Speed DSL 3.3/768.  My connection speed varies from 1.0 to 2.2, but never higher..usually in the 1.6 neighborhood.

Perhaps I'm a little too new to this, but shouldn't I be getting at least 2.5/768?

Here are the specs:

• Westell 7500 A90-750015-07 (black and red firmware)
  • 1 Windows Vista PC - wired
  • 1 Windows XP - wired or wireless
  • 1 Mac - wired or wireless

I have gotten similar results from speedtest.net for any of the above configurations.  However, on Verizon central, I've never been able to achieve anything higher than 400kbbs / 828 kbps.  Not sure why that is.

I have a dedicated dsl line and whole house filter (thanks to a Vz repair tech trying to improve my speed) and had the modem replaced.  No significant changes.  Additionally, I've called Vz tech support no less than a dozen times and the "line test" always comes back normal.  They say my modem is receiving 3.3, I just can't get that to my computer.

Should I go out and by my own modem/wireless router...or just suck it up and switch back to cable?

Any insight, tips, etc. would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Performance is Up and Down - Need Help!!
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

I assume you are seeing the same speeds via the ethernet cable and wireless.  You should note that Verizon will state the speeds as UP TO so the max is not guaranteed.  The speeds are greately determined by the distance you are from the central office.  The speed that the Verizon help line usually referes to is what your line is capable of receiving to the network box usually on the outside of the house.  Your inside wires may not be capable of bringing that speed to the modem.  If the tech did not install a Cat 5 cable from the network box to the jack where your modem is plugged into, request to have that done.  I have a similar arrangement and the new Cat 5 I had installed helped to increase the speed.  First have Verizon determine your distance.  The statement you received likely indicates you are within the distance needed for you speed package.

gizmojlc

Verizon indicated that I am well within range for my service level and the signal would be "very strong".  That was from the tech that actually turned on the DSL down the street from my home.  The second tech who came to my house filtered out the DSL line to two previously unused copper lines and created a new jack that is dedicated to the modem.  With this set up, I cannot hook up my modem to any other phone jack and no longer need the dsl filters on other equipment (although I have not yet removed them - tech said it really didn't matter at that point).

The jack is located in a wiring closet that then runs out to LAN jacks throughout the house.  However, if I get similar results on both wired and wireless, this shouldn't matter.

Is the Westell 7500 the best that is out there?

0 Likes
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/VersaLink7500UserGuide.pdf

This is the link for the 7500 user manual.  Download and review your settings.  You could also do a reset   by pushing the button on the rear to return to the Verizon defaults which should provide the optimum performance for your package. It is possible there is a problem with the modem but not likely.  I have used several different models and have friends who have done the same.  Our experience is they appear to perform the same.  I have also read various reviews of the models and generally performance dos not vary much between them.  The tech should actually test out the modem as connected to your computer to verify it is performing properly  Since Verizon supplied the modem/router and also the service they should be responsible to verify you get what you pay for each month.