Piggy Backing
gamerzrevenge

My roomate has connected a ethernet cable from my router to his router and then from his router to all his computers.

The question is why i can only see his router's ip address and not his computers? And why when i ping his router its showing has request timed out. I find this a little on the freaky side.  Im very paranoid about also what he does on the internet. Heres my setup

My router is 192.168.1.1

My Computers Wired 192.168.1.3

My Computer 2 Wired  is 192.168.1.5

My Wireless Computer is 192.168.1.6

STB HD 192.168.1.101

Stb 2 192.168.1. 102

STB 3 192.168.1.103

My Roomates Router connected to my router is 192.168.1.4

And His Computer 1  IP ?  and

His Computer 2 IP ? Which i know he is able to name his ip for anything he wants it to be.

His Printer which is also connected to his router. IP ?

I want to logg his ip address in case he does something illegal and i know what computer it orginated from.

I also want to be able to get network statistics on where he has gone ip address wise, website wise with netstat.

Also doing regualr network troubleshooting.

Can anyone Help?

0 Likes
Re: Piggy Backing
prisaz
Legend

@gamerzrevenge wrote:

My roomate has connected a ethernet cable from my router to his router and then from his router to all his computers.

The question is why i can only see his router's ip address and not his computers? And why when i ping his router its showing has request timed out. I find this a little on the freaky side.  Im very paranoid about also what he does on the internet. Heres my setup

My router is 192.168.1.1

My Computers Wired 192.168.1.3

My Computer 2 Wired  is 192.168.1.5

My Wireless Computer is 192.168.1.6

STB HD 192.168.1.101

Stb 2 192.168.1. 102

STB 3 192.168.1.103

My Roomates Router connected to my router is 192.168.1.4

And His Computer 1  IP ?  and

His Computer 2 IP ? Which i know he is able to name his ip for anything he wants it to be.

His Printer which is also connected to his router. IP ?

I want to logg his ip address in case he does something illegal and i know what computer it orginated from.

I also want to be able to get network statistics on where he has gone ip address wise, website wise with netstat.

Also doing regualr network troubleshooting.

Can anyone Help?

If you have your router connected to the primary router, the firewall and NAT in your router will prevent your computers from seeing the others by name.

If it gets down to being illegal and there is a warrant, I am sure it would be for all hardware connected to the public IP. I do not think the warrant would let you decide where or who at your location performed the illegal act. I am not in law enforcement or a lawyer. But I have considered these items myself.

The responsibility falls on the account holder. If it is your account and you do not trust the person, do not let them use it. If it is not your account, but your hardware is at their location, you are still at risk of being searched and siezed. It is hard living with people you can not trust.

http://www.verizon.net/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_policies&id=TOS

Section 4. Sub paragraph 2.

"You are responsible for all use of your Service and account, whether by you or someone using your account with or without your permission, including all secondary or sub-accounts associated with your primary account, and to pay for all activity associated with your account. You agree to comply with all applicable laws, regulations and rules regarding your use of the Service and to only use the Service within the United States (unless otherwise permitted by this Agreement)."

0 Likes