Poor Wireless Reception
PaulRS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in a tri-level house (2 1/2 stories).  The wireless modem is on the ground floor because that is where the fiber comes into the house.. I have very weak and slow internmet connectivity on the top floor. Is there a signal "booster" available to help improve this situation? Thanks.

Re: Poor Wireless Reception
Hubrisnxs
Legend

imageimage

Try to keep in mind the images above, if you're router is in poor placement for your location, then you may want to physically move it.   The router gets internet from the COAX cable, so that means you can move it to any room that has a working TV outlet.   you just need a 1-5000mhz splitter and a coax cable to move it and hook it up.

Also it may be something as simple as a setting in your router that you can change that will lessen interference from competing devices

to do that in the router, open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

If the two above suggestions do not work, then yes you can purchase any WAP from a local retailer or online at a pc shop, or you can buy a wireless N Router to replace yours from Verizon. 

Bolmtasni
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was having the same issue with my wireless signal to my bedroom, that was until I learned of Homeplug powerline ethernet adapter. One to remember is don't plug it into a power strip just to the power outlet of the wall. 

0 Likes
PaulRS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I'll try these suggestions.

0 Likes
PaulRS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I'll look into that.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

You didn't say if you have TV with Fios. If so, then you could get a MoCa bridge and set up an access point upstairs.  The bridge plugs into the cable and gets internet access from there.

You could also go purchase an Access Point that can also be used as a repeater.  I set one of these up for a friend, upstairs downstairs.

0 Likes