Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
jonjones1
Legend

You know when DirectTVNOW first started there were so many complaints against the service that customers were saying it was in beta testing. However bad it was at the start I stayed because $35 for life was a good deal. And sure enough 1 year later they are the fastest growing streaming tv service out there. So beta testing worked.

in all seriousness when there is a firmware update for my Netgear I and everyone else get to put the new one on the device. Now think about this Greenwave (Verizon) situation. Some people claim they received it. Why not all customers? those that have received it some said it was gone after a short time and it was rolled back to previous. Does that sound like beta testing the firmware? 

Points to ponder. Also you had one forum member claim they received it and it is working. What do you think?

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
CRobGauth
Super User
Super User

There is a widespread update that started yesterday,

I received mine.

I understand others have as well,

But if you don't have it, I would contact support.

My suggestion is twitter @verizonsupport.

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
maestro2
Contributor

@jonjones wrote:

You know when DirectTVNOW first started there were so many complaints against the service that customers were saying it was in beta testing. However bad it was at the start I stayed because $35 for life was a good deal. And sure enough 1 year later they are the fastest growing streaming tv service out there. So beta testing worked.

in all seriousness when there is a firmware update for my Netgear I and everyone else get to put the new one on the device. Now think about this Greenwave (Verizon) situation. Some people claim they received it. Why not all customers? those that have received it some said it was gone after a short time and it was rolled back to previous. Does that sound like beta testing the firmware? 

Points to ponder. Also you had one forum member claim they received it and it is working. What do you think?


I signed up for directv now as soon as it became available as well. I did not notice any issues then, except for some channels playing music instead of commercials (I liked that better :)). I even got apple tv for free as I paid for three month of directv now at once. And I am willingly testing the directv now beta, that offers recording.

The difference is: directv now was a newly launched service, and fios Internet is not.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
jonjones1
Legend

@maestro wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

You know when DirectTVNOW first started there were so many complaints against the service that customers were saying it was in beta testing. However bad it was at the start I stayed because $35 for life was a good deal. And sure enough 1 year later they are the fastest growing streaming tv service out there. So beta testing worked.

in all seriousness when there is a firmware update for my Netgear I and everyone else get to put the new one on the device. Now think about this Greenwave (Verizon) situation. Some people claim they received it. Why not all customers? those that have received it some said it was gone after a short time and it was rolled back to previous. Does that sound like beta testing the firmware? 

Points to ponder. Also you had one forum member claim they received it and it is working. What do you think?


I signed up for directv now as soon as it became available as well. I did not notice any issues then, except for some channels playing music instead of commercials (I liked that better :)). I even got apple tv for free as I paid for three month of directv now at once. And I am willingly testing the directv now beta, that offers recording.

The difference is: directv now was a newly launched service, and fios Internet is not.


Companies do beta testing all the time. Microsoft and Apple just a few that are well established and do beta. Also some modem and router manufacturers also do the same.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
maestro2
Contributor

@jonjones wrote:

@maestro wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

You know when DirectTVNOW first started there were so many complaints against the service that customers were saying it was in beta testing. However bad it was at the start I stayed because $35 for life was a good deal. And sure enough 1 year later they are the fastest growing streaming tv service out there. So beta testing worked.

in all seriousness when there is a firmware update for my Netgear I and everyone else get to put the new one on the device. Now think about this Greenwave (Verizon) situation. Some people claim they received it. Why not all customers? those that have received it some said it was gone after a short time and it was rolled back to previous. Does that sound like beta testing the firmware? 

Points to ponder. Also you had one forum member claim they received it and it is working. What do you think?


I signed up for directv now as soon as it became available as well. I did not notice any issues then, except for some channels playing music instead of commercials (I liked that better :)). I even got apple tv for free as I paid for three month of directv now at once. And I am willingly testing the directv now beta, that offers recording.

The difference is: directv now was a newly launched service, and fios Internet is not.


Companies do beta testing all the time. Microsoft and Apple just a few that are well established and do beta. Also some modem and router manufacturers also do the same.


Very true, but customers are usually aware about the beta testing, and give their consent.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
maestro2
Contributor

@CRobGauth wrote:

There is a widespread update that started yesterday,

I received mine.

I understand others have as well,

But if you don't have it, I would contact support.

@my suggestion is twitter @verizonsupport.


Nope, no update here.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
CRobGauth
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately, it appears the only way to force upgrade is factory reset.

Save off configs first.

Reset and then import configs.

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
maestro2
Contributor

@CRobGauth wrote:

Unfortunately, it appears the only way to force upgrade is factory reset.

Save off configs first.

Reset and then import configs.


Yes, indeed. Backup, reset, restore.

Now I have Firmware Version 02.00.01.07.

Re: 5G works, then doesn't, then works, then doesn't...
Bmaore222
Enthusiast

I would not be so mad if Verizon did not make me upgrade my router because that was the only way to receive faster internet speeds, whats the point of having a router in 2018 that only has 2.4 GHz band 

0 Likes
Re: 5G works, then doesn't, then works, then doesn't...
CRobGauth
Super User
Super User

Don't understand comment.

What model rotuer do you have?

How did you get it?

For longer term customers, Verizon had previously given out routers for free.

Then they, like some other providers, started charging for routers. Either by renting or purchasing.

The only router that Verizon supplies that supports 5G is the G1100.

But if you don't use Verizon STBs, you can use whatever model router you wish.

0 Likes