Repeated DSL Outages
WildTexoma

By and large my Verizon DSL had been very reliable albeit nowhere near 3 Mb speed. Outages have been rare.  Two weeks ago we had a problem in the neighborhood and were without internet and local phone service for about 22 hours. Once repairs were made, the landline came back and has remained problem free. However, internet connectivity remains spotty.  Service disappears nearly every afternoon between 12PM and 2PM local.  Sometimes it returns quickly, sometimes it stays off for several hours. When it does finally return, I must reboot the modem to get some kind of decent connection speed. This is becoming extremely frustrating, especially since, being in a rural area, my options for high speed internet (i.e. not 56k dial-up) are pretty nonexistent.

Today, I took the unprecedented step of ordering a 56k modem to install in my computer, so that I can fall back on a dial up connection when the DSL goes down. Not exactly what I'd call "progress."  I hate the idea  of satellite internet, as it is quite expensive, but I'm beginning to feel like my back is against the wall. Is it too much to ask for Verizon to provide the DSL service that I'm paying for?

0 Likes
Re: Repeated DSL Outages
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I am sorry to hear about the DSL troubles you are having. We would like to take a look at this. I have copied your post to our private support board so we can get more information from you. Please discontinue posting on this thread and instead post on your new message thread.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Were you able to find out what sort of trouble your neighborhood saw with DSL and Telephone when it went out for 22 hours? That almost sounds like some copper got damaged or if you guys are pretty far out, a remote terminal experienced connectivity/power issues or alarmed for some reason.

Is your phone service clear as it normally is or does it seem degraded in voice clarity/quality? How about any line noise such as static, humming or buzzing? Is that present?

Could you also supply some Transceiver Statistics from the modem both when it is running at a high speed and when it is running at a poor speed? A speed test accompanied with each statistics measurment is appreciated too.

0 Likes
WildTexoma

Thanks for the response.

I have no idea what the problem was (it's not like anyone explains what happened, or what was done to repair it.)

Phone service appears to be OK; I haven't experienced any degradation in quality since it came back. 

I guess I'm not clear on what you mean when you say transceiver statistics. My modem is a Verizon/Westell 6100, configured as a bridge and connected to a Linksys wireless router. I can run internet connection speed tests on several websites, but to get into the modem, I have to disconnect it from the router and attach it directly to one of my computers. (If there's some way I can see the modem through the router, I'd love to know what it is!)

Lately I've run speedtests from speedtest.net. Beyond pinging the server and testing download and upload speeds, I'm not sure what other data may be available. Any info you can provide to aid in troubleshooting would definitely be appreciated!

0 Likes
WildTexoma

Anthony_VZ

I thought I would update you with current events. I lost internet again on Monday. It seemed to work fine on Tuesday but yesterday and today the pattern repeated. Connectivity starts getting intermittent around 12PM (note all times are Central Daylight.) Sometimes it comes back albeit at a reduced speed, sometimes it stays down for an hour or more.  Also, yesterday was the first time I noticed some noise on my landline around the same time that the internet was down.  When it does come back, it is sometimes at dialup speeds e.g. 50 Kbps download but always considerably below 1 Mbps. Rebooting the modem usually brings it back faster; today when I tried rebooting connectivity was lost again for another hour.  Upload speed rarely changes, and has consistently been around .53 Mbps, although today it actually dropped to .26 Mbps.

This is getting extremely frustrating. I'd like to know what, if anything, is being done to fix my internet connection. I would like to get what I am paying for, or credit my bill for the afternoon hours when I lose connectivity.

Can you update me on what if any steps are being taken to solve this problem?  Thanks.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi WildTexoma

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look down the middle towards the bottom where you will find an area titled "My Private Support Cases".
There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information, and any update messages should be there. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. 

0 Likes
WildTexoma

Thank you for your response. I would be pleased to work with you to resolve my problem, but at the risk of appearing dumb, I must ask for your assistance:

1. What exactly is my profile page? Is that what I see if I click on my user ID, or is it accessed in some other way? Perhaps I am missing something but I see no option that can direct me to this profile page.
  2. Tech Anthony requested that I post on my new message thread. I found a page titled “My Support Cases" showing my original post and Anthony’s response; when I tried replying to this, it went out on the public forum. Please explain how I find the page with “My Private Support Cases.” Perhaps the forum layout is somewhat counterintuitive, or perhaps I’m being unforgivably obtuse. Either way, I’d like to work with you to get this solved. Thanks.
0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Please check your PM for further information.  

0 Likes
Status changed to: Resolved
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

We sent you a message on our private support board to assist you and we did not receive a response. Please repost the issue if you are still experiencing a problem so that we may assist you. Tonya C.

0 Likes