Replace Quantum Gateway Router with MoCa adaptor
eheitfield

I have a situation which, I think, is rather simple, but I'm a novice at these kinds of things so I'd appreciate some advice.

Currently I subscribe to FIOS internet; we don't get TV or phone services form Verizon and have no interest in adding them.  We have an older FIOS installation that is set up as follows.  

1. ONT connected to coax in the basement

2. coax connected to rented Quantum Gateway router in the second floor office.  I've turned off all the radios and DHCP on the Gateway (i.e., it's in "bridge" mode).

3. ethernet from Gateway LAN port to WAN port of my Synology router.

Everything is working great; my Synology router is acting as the main router, which gives me a lot more control over my home network and provides better signal coverage than I was getting with the Gateway as main.  But, as you can see, the only function of the Gateway is to serve as an interface between the coax from the ONT to ethernet into my Synology router.  Given this, it pains me to spend $12/month to rent the Gateway, just to serve as a MoCa adaptor.  Can I simply buy my own MoCa adaptor and send the Gateway back to Verizon?  If so, are all models likely to be compatible with Verizon's signal out of the ONT, or do I need a specific one?

To clarify, I understand that I could ask Verizon to switch my ONT to ethernet and plug my router into it directly, but the basement is not a good location for my router and I don't want to incur the expense and hassle of running ethernet from the ONT to the office.  I also understand from other posts that there are issues with compatibility between some MoCa adaptors and Verizon STBs.  We don't have TV service and have no interest in adding it, so this is not really an issue for us.  

I'd really appreciate any advice folks can offer.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replace Quantum Gateway Router with MoCa adaptor
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

Yes - this should work. I would buy the Moca adapters and try it out for a day or two before you return the G1100 (Quantum Gateway Router).

As for standards, if all your Moca adapters are the same standard, you'll be fine. I found out that the G1100 is Moca 2.0, but since that won't be in the picture, you can get the latest 2.5 version.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Re: Replace Quantum Gateway Router with MoCa adaptor
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

Yes - this should work. I would buy the Moca adapters and try it out for a day or two before you return the G1100 (Quantum Gateway Router).

As for standards, if all your Moca adapters are the same standard, you'll be fine. I found out that the G1100 is Moca 2.0, but since that won't be in the picture, you can get the latest 2.5 version.

Good luck.