Router upgrade to wireless n ???
tazman62
Enthusiast - Level 2

To my knowledge Verizon does not offer wireless n... if this is correct can I purchase a higher end router which will support fios and replace Verizon's router??  I currently have (2) computers, (1) notebook, (1) ipad and (2) iphones and we watch streaming video.  Of course not all will be in use at the same time, however, if extreme cases up to 4 devices may be in use at the same time.  Currently I have the Actiontec MI424-WR Rev D router and I believe that I have 30 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload.  Please provide any info, input or advice concerning my inquiry.  Thanks!!

0 Likes
Re: Router upgrade to wireless n ???
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Verizon does offer Wireless N routers; specifically the ActionTec MI424-WR Rev. G router which has Gigabit and Wireless N capabilities. Good luck trying to get one though, as they're still pretty new and are only really being given out for the packages higher than 50Mbps/20Mbps in speed. But yes, you can replace Verizon's router with a router of your own. There's a pile of FAQs over at DSLReports on this subject that you can take a look at and decide how you want to set it up. I do suggest a move from MoCa to Ethernet for your connection to the ONT from the router though.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios (look at networking and below)
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You can replace the Actiontec with another router but I found it much simpler to just turn off the Actiontec's wifi and run an inexpensive 802.11n router configured as a WAP and fed by one of the Acitontec's LAN ports.  I get 43 mb/s down 32 mb/s up via a wired or wifi connection.

I still have the default Verizon configuratin, including  the coax MoCA feed to the Actiontec, so if I ever have an issue that needs tech support I won't be hearing from Verizon "we don't support that router."

tazman62
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your input and links... quite helpful and gives me an option to think about.

0 Likes
tazman62
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info... pardon my inexperience when it comes to configuring the router but how do you go about disabling the wifi on the Actiontec MI424 Rev D router??  I agree with you... don't want to run into the "we don't support" issue if needed.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Login to the router via a browser ... the router will be at:   http://192.168.1.1

The option to disable the wifi on the router can be found on the wireless settings page.

The best option is to disable wifi and use a second router as an access point.  

It doesn't take Verizon's router out of the loop from a support perspective and if you have TV service, unless your networking savvy and understand what is going on with the MoCA bridge to the LAN, etc. you probably don't want to outright replace Verizon's router (no replacement router will provide the needed MoCA bridge -- and while you can purchase a device to bridge the local LAN onto a MoCA coax connection to support this need for the Set-Top boxes, it's really not worth the hassle.

Justin46
Legend

@DblSides wrote:

Thanks for the info... pardon my inexperience when it comes to configuring the router but how do you go about disabling the wifi on the Actiontec MI424 Rev D router??  I agree with you... don't want to run into the "we don't support" issue if needed.

1) Log into the router (ignore the extra asterisks that are displayed while you type)

2) Click on the Wireless Settings icon at the top

3) Click on Basic Security Settings on the left side

4) Click on the Off button in #1: Turn Wireless ON

5) Scroll down and click on Apply

6) Logout

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
timh3

I just spoke with an online rep and was told when asking about the wireless N router:

Marie(12:17:47): Hello. Thank you for choosing Verizon and visiting our chat service. That router is not available yet.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

verizon is coming out with an n router that they intend to use for every speed plan, that is rev H.  rev G is being held for customers that order over 100 MB service.  

so don't plan on getting an N router from verizon anytime soon.    do yourself a favor like most of us, and go buy yourself an n router.  

tazman62
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin... thanks for the step by step instructions, I'm sure the process will be quite simple.  Now for the not so good news... A verizon tech originally installed my router and honestly I don't know the user name or password.  I have never had any issues or reasons to login to the router until now.  So... that's both good news and bad news all in a nutshell. 

Is there a way to retrieve or reset the info needed??  Please kindly advise.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you.