Routers/Modems
cmw4
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

How long do wireless modem/routers last? Mine is  an Actiontec and 8 years old.  Is it time to get a new one?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Routers/Modems
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've had my Westell 6100 for 10 years. Works great still to this day. Never have to touch it.

0 Likes
cmw4
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Smith,

Thanks for the quick answer.  I have a large dog who heeps knocking it off the table, And today I noticed the little antanne was out of place.  I was able to pop it back in.. but was just checking,  I did not know if I should get a new one.  I

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the antenna is loose but the unit is still delivering the range it used to, then you should be all set. Typically the antenna can break off of the holder. The key is whether or not the copper connection back to the radio was damaged. With falls, I would be worried about capacitors breaking off of the circuit board.

IF the dog is known to knock over the modem, you might want to try wall mounting. The modems should all have one or two notches on the bottom for wall mounting.

0 Likes
cmw4
Enthusiast - Level 3

HI Smith,

Thank you.

Right now I am so upset. I have spent over 2 hours trying to get  someone explain what VOICE is and cancel an appointment that someone set up.   I have called, chatted,.,.  useless.

0 Likes