Self assigned IP error with Fios network extender
TallGuyVA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I installed the Fios network extender and the wifi is working great.  When I connect my Mac (both the Macbook Pro and the Mac Mini) to the ethernet jack on the back of the device, I get a "Self assigned IP address" error and the Mac won't connect to the internet via the hardwired connection.

I've rebooted all the devices and renewed the DCHP lease. I'm running macOS Big Sur (11.2.3)

Suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Self assigned IP error with Fios network extender
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It seems that the two Ethernet interfaces on the FNE is not bridged to the MoCA interface. Can you manually configure static IP addresses on your computers for now? Then test whether the router is reachable on the link by pinging 192.168.1.1.

Can you go to FNE's web management interface at least by typing the IP address of the FNE into a browser? You can find out FNE's IP address by looking at the main router's connection list.

View solution in original post

Re: Self assigned IP error with Fios network extender
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It seems that the two Ethernet interfaces on the FNE is not bridged to the MoCA interface. Can you manually configure static IP addresses on your computers for now? Then test whether the router is reachable on the link by pinging 192.168.1.1.

Can you go to FNE's web management interface at least by typing the IP address of the FNE into a browser? You can find out FNE's IP address by looking at the main router's connection list.