Self service upgrade from 50/50 to 200/200 without ethernet wall port
NIngle
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am currently using FiOS router G1100 and have 50/50 service. I have internet ONLY service (No TV). It's an old (year 2015) install so only coaxial cable is plugged into the router. I am not sure  if my ONT install is BPON or GPON (Got these terminology from forums).

Verizon raised my monthly fee for 50/50 service. When I called they offered me to upgrade speed to 200/200 with almost same fee. Now I am required to do self-service upgrade and activate service using the link they provided.

1. I watched FiOS support video and it mentioned to plug an Ethernet cable from WAN port (white color) router into wall Ethernet port. I don't have an Ethernet port near my coaxial port anywhere in the house. Can I run a cable from some other Ethernet port in the wall to router? Will that work? I am also reading that wire needs to run from ONT to router Ethernet. Is that also needed?

2. Since I have only internet service from Verizon can I use MoCA converter to provide Ethernet port option? If that's the case my connection setup will be

From current wall coaxial cable --> MoCa Cable in port --> Moca Ethernet output port --> Fios G1100 WAN port .  Will that be correct setup?

Or

If G1100 still needs a coaxial cable then I am thinking of option 3

3. Current wall coaxial port --> coaxial splitter --> One output of coaxial splitter goes to G1100 router. Second coaxial splitter output --> MoCa coaxial cable in port --> Moca Ethernet output port --> G1100 router WAN port?

I hope I didn't confuse you all. My deadline to upgrade is 21st Jan, 2021.

Let me know which option I should go with? Option 1 or 2 or 3

With Reards

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Self service upgrade from 50/50 to 200/200 without ethernet wall port
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, no, no. An Ethernet cable needs to be between the router and the ONT for any speeds greater than 175Mbps. If you can’t run an Ethernet cable between them and has to use a Coaxial cable, there is a solution using a pair of MoCA adapters costing $100+.

The simplest solution for you would be placing your router near the ONT. For the current location, buy another used G1100 for less than $50 on EBay. Connect this one only with coax and bridge the router.

View solution in original post

Re: Self service upgrade from 50/50 to 200/200 without ethernet wall port
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, no, no. An Ethernet cable needs to be between the router and the ONT for any speeds greater than 175Mbps. If you can’t run an Ethernet cable between them and has to use a Coaxial cable, there is a solution using a pair of MoCA adapters costing $100+.

The simplest solution for you would be placing your router near the ONT. For the current location, buy another used G1100 for less than $50 on EBay. Connect this one only with coax and bridge the router.