Setting up Netgear Nighthawk as primary router
plagasx

Hey hows it going,

Now I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but im still sort of confused as to what method is best for me. 

I currently have a 75/75 internet with TV and Phone. I have 4 STBs. I have a coax wire going from the ONT downstairs in my basement to upstairs in my Verizon provided G1100 quantum router in living room. Running an Ethernet cable from my ONT isn't an option for me unfortunately at the moment.

So I'm asking, what would be the most ideal way for me to set up my Netgear Nighthawk X4S as my primary router? And is there a definitive step by step guide on how to do this?  I'm tired of using my verizon router and would like to use the advance features of my Netgear Nighthawk X4S.

Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Setting up Netgear Nighthawk as primary router
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately if you can't run an Ethernet cable from the ONT, you will still need the G1100. 

However another user brought to my attention that it is possible to set the g1100 into a wan bridge mode, the instructions are over on dslreports: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057540-Networking-HOW-TO-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Prim...

Unfortunately this still leaves the g1100 in place, but your router would become primary.

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately if you can't run an Ethernet cable from the ONT, you will still need the G1100. 

However another user brought to my attention that it is possible to set the g1100 into a wan bridge mode, the instructions are over on dslreports: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057540-Networking-HOW-TO-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Prim...

Unfortunately this still leaves the g1100 in place, but your router would become primary.

plagasx

Yea, I'm not looking to replace the g1100 as I FIOS tv.

Also, in that guide it says something about ipv6. That option is greyed out for me. Is that a problem? 

0 Likes
BuildIT1

Hi. I'm trying to use a Linksys AC5400 but have the same issue. Security Settings for IP6v are grayed out. Therefore IP6v cannot be set to Minimal. I get in Bridge Mode and can access On Demand and select-start a movie, but it stops in seconds - the starts and stops. I looked in the security log and there are many entries for IP6x traffic not allowed. Most likely being able to access IP6v (and set to Minimal) will resolve this. How to access?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@BuildITwrote:

Hi. I'm trying to use a Linksys AC5400 but have the same issue. Security Settings for IP6v are grayed out. Therefore IP6v cannot be set to Minimal. I get in Bridge Mode and can access On Demand and select-start a movie, but it stops in seconds - the starts and stops. I looked in the security log and there are many entries for IP6x traffic not allowed. Most likely being able to access IP6v (and set to Minimal) will resolve this. How to access?

IPv6 is not yet available to Fios. As last I read it isn’t. There was chatter about it years ago but it was just chatter. https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/getting-started/learn-about-ipv6

Like I said it says what it should do, but states to check back on availability.

0 Likes