Setup of Sony Blu-Ray via WiFi help needed
laruta09
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Sony BDP/BX57 Blu-Ray player.  I was able to connect it wired and update the firmware but cannot connect it wirelessly. I want to do this because my router is in another room far away from my player.  I know my WEP password, IP address, subnet mask, etc. as well as WEP Key.  I have tried connecting several times without success.  Any suggestions?  FYI - I have a laptop, cell phone, and another computer connected wirelessly and have not had problems with those.

Re: Setup of Sony Blu-Ray via WiFi help needed
laruta09
Enthusiast - Level 2

Additionally I see that my wireless connection says, "OK", but under Internet Access it says, "Failed".

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably has already been double checked, but make sure that the key is being typed in exactly as it appears on the router. They are case sensitive. Other than that, it has been known that newer devices have started to develop problems connecting to WEP-secured networks, so it's probably a good bet that setting the Verizon router to use WPA2-AES Encryption will solve your issue. If some devices in your home don't support WPA2, WPA-TKIP should at least be compatible.

laruta09
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do I change to WPA2 encryption?  Is there a step-by-step process posted?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are plenty of step-by-step guides. Verizon even has one on their website which is at http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiosinternet/networking/setup/vzmi424/125052.htm . If you don't have an ActionTec router, the concept should still be the same for the Westell units. I'll type one up for you.

First, visit http://192.168.1.1/ on your PC, connected using Ethernet. Log in with the Username of admin, and the password should be your router's Serial Number found on the bottom of the router on a sticker.

Second, choose Wireless Settings on the top navigation, then choose Advanced Security from the Right hand navigation. On this page, you'll see a listing of supported wireless methods for your router. If you have an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. C or newer, WPA2 should be listed. Select the bubble for WPA2.

Third, you should see a page asking for a Pre-Shared Key setup. Make sure Pre-Shared Key is selected, and then fill in the form titled "Pre-Shared Key" with the password you wish to use on your wireless network. This can be the same key that is on the sticker at the bottom of the router, or it can be one you have set that cannot be easilly guessed. Finally, make sure the Encryption Algorithum is set to AES. Using TKIP on WPA2 defeats the purpose of WPA2 and also reduces performance on the radio, plus many devices lack support for WPA2-PSK TKIP. You can leave the Group Key Renewal value the same, or you can set it to a value such as 3600 (2 hours) if you experience frequent but timely disconnects after switching to WPA2.

Once you apply the settings, while you're at it go back to the Advanced Wireless settings page, and visit the 802.11g/b mode page. Set the router to only use Wireless G, as there is no point supporting Wireless B when using WPA2 encryption. Ensures performance.

Once this is all done, re-configure your wireless devices to use the new form of security you have set, along with your new security key if you have set a new one.

Let us know how things went. Remember, if something goes wrong and you can't correct it, just press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds. This will reset it back to the way you received the router from Verizon.

I forgot to mention as well, if you have old devices that will not support WPA2 encryption, WPA security is acceptable to use and should be better supported by all devices today. The concept to setting that up is the same as WPA2.