Slow Dry Loop DSL question
snailmail

Hi,

I've had this dry loop dsl for a couple of months after getting rid of my home phone dial tone and using my VZW smartphone as my only source of voice comm. In the last month (March) speeds have been below dial-up speeds. Before going to dry loop I would typically get on the 1 MB plan 0.75mb down and .35mb up which worked great for me as I don't watch video, play online games or use a lot of bandwidth heavy sites on the net.

Now beginning in March it has dropped and sometimes just disconnects then returnes to:

Last Result:Wednesday 04-Apr 2012, 06:22:02 PM
Download Speed: 138 kbps (17.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 124 kbps (15.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Wondering  what happened? I've done the turn on-turn-off Westell 6100 moded, reboot the computer, unplug the dsl line then plug it back into the modem...still can't get consistency like I had  months before going to dry loop dsl. Here's my Westell modem transceiver stats as of this morning: (does look a little better down stream but upstream is ...  well blah for email; especially a 2mb photo attachement!)

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data PathINTERLEAVED

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)864160
Margin (dB)30.331.0
Line Attenuation (dB)30.317.0
Transmit Power (dBm)16.811.2

You think a suggestion to Verizon on having the CO in my rural town move me off of a busy router/DSLAM to see if that would bring up my down stream and up stream numbers with consistency? Or maybe the line noise is bad. Or my TIB outside of the house that has been worked on a couple of years ago isn't compatible with dry loop dsl now?

Thanks for anyone taking the time to help out on this. First time poster here.

Nixie

0 Likes
Re: Slow Dry Loop DSL question
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you only seeing speed drops during the evening hours or is this a case that occurs 24/7? The line statistics look fine now, but there's a difference between congestion, an incorrectly built PVC and physical line trouble.

0 Likes