Slow Fios Speed until Router Reset/Rebooot
sten22

Hello,

Thanks in advance for the help everyone! 

In the morning, and occasionally throughout the day, my wifi screams to a crawl. I have the 1 gig service, and typically pull around 500mb up/down from the router over my laptop and cell phones - normal; however, the internet has started to crawl more and more often unless I reboot the router. At a crawl, the max speeds that I can pull over any of our wifi laptops or cell phones is less than 5mb. Once I reboot, though, it's back up to full speed.

This used to be fairly rare - maybe once a week. Anymore, it's nearly once a day. Rebooting the router always fixes the issue, but it's very annoying to do on a daily basis. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow Fios Speed until Router Reset/Rebooot
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Expecting Gigabit on any single Wireless connection is pretty unrealistic. A 4x4 MIMO device is going to allow for that most often in a simplex environment. And that configuration is only really found in desktop computers and higher end wireless equipment than the G1100.

Just saying :-(.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a wired device that you can test with?

If so, does it experience slow down as well?

If it is just wifi, could be some sort of interference.

Is router set to auto channel?

Does it happen on both 5G and 2.4G wifi?

sten22

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a wired device, though that'd be nice. All of my devices run on the 5ghz spectrum and experience the same extreme slow down until I reboot the router. I've tried Verizon's speed test and veriifed that the ONT is still showing normal speeds during the router's slow period. 

Additionally, I can verify that the router is set to auto channel and should be free of obvious interfence (ie no microwaves, phones, etc in earshot of the router). The router sits slightly elevated and devices generally have a clear line of sight. 

The problem is becoming more common.

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi there, Im sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your 5GHz network from your FiOS Quantum Gateway.

There is a knewn issue witht he 5GHz network with this router making connections to this network perform poorly or become entirely unusable.

The workaround for the time being is to disconnect your devices from the 5GHz network and switch to the 2.4GHz network if it is feasable to you.

sten22

Hi,

Thank you for the response. That's not a very good solution, though. The 2.4ghz spectrum here is very crowded and is also much slower. I utilize the 5ghz network to better capture that gigabit plan that I pay for and to avoid interference that would otherwise further slow the connection. It's bad enough that the router only lets me stream at around 400 - 500mb over the wifi when I pay for close to 1000. Verizon needs to come up with a better solution / wifi offering. This product already fails to meet the speed mark on a good day, and if the best of two poor options has a known issue then something should be done to correct it for us consumers. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Expecting Gigabit on any single Wireless connection is pretty unrealistic. A 4x4 MIMO device is going to allow for that most often in a simplex environment. And that configuration is only really found in desktop computers and higher end wireless equipment than the G1100.

Just saying :-(.

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes