Slow wireless internet
PauseID

imageOk, so i recently reinstalled my Windows 7 and im having wireless problems now which is didnt have before.
I now takes along time to load pages and my downloads are extremely slow (100KBps). . Im currently sitting on 4 bars which is normal but it is really frustrating because of how slow the internet is. I use the RealTek 8185 extensible 802.11b/g wireless device.My modem is MI424WR for Verizon FiOS.

So since i reinstalled windows i need to re-download my games. Some are downloading at 100KBs when usually its 8-10MBs. This is strange because my internet connection is normal as before the install besides the speed which is wht im trying to fix. When im browsing its slow aswell..infact it sometimes reaching 5 bars which is even better then normal..I have installed most of the windows updates. (been 3 days since i reinstalled)image

0 Likes
Re: Slow wireless internet
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

My only suggestion would be to power-cycle the router and see if that helps things. Switch off the router, count to 20 and switch it back on.

0 Likes
PauseID

Unfortunately this did not work

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't see anything immediately wrong with the Wireless signal. It's plenty strong/consistent and you seem to be on your own channel.

Do you have an Ethernet cable handy? Try disconnecting from the Wireless and connecting Wired to see if your speeds and response improve.

0 Likes
MrsMark
Enthusiast - Level 3

There are a few things that you can do if you notice a speed issue that did not exist before. When you mention re-installing windows, what exactly do u mean?  Clean install or a recovery?  There is a difference and make a huge difference.  If it was a clean install, you may need to get windows updates which will correct some issues.  After doing updates, you should then optimize your system.  This will turn off services that may be running that aren't needed.  Update your browers and then recycle your router. 

I hope this helps. 

0 Likes
MrsMark
Enthusiast - Level 3

BTW for security reasons.....that photo you posted should never be shared to strangers.  You provided us with your IP address, mac address and gateway info.  That type of info can be used for many things...none you would like.  🙂

0 Likes
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

@MrsMark wrote:

BTW for security reasons.....that photo you posted should never be shared to strangers.  You provided us with your IP address, mac address and gateway info.  That type of info can be used for many things...none you would like.  🙂

No. Please stop scaring the OP. There is nothing of real consequence anyone can do based on an IP or MAC address. IP and MAC addresses are sent, received and exchanged all the time.

0 Likes
MrsMark
Enthusiast - Level 3

UnnDunn,

Okay I guess this is one of those acceptable untruth sitautions I spoke about in an earlier post.  Providing your Ip address is like giving a stranger your home address. Providing a clients mac address is like providing them the exact location of lets say a private safe within the home address you provided. 

You are right when u mention that IP addresses are usually provided in all transactions...but what you didn't mention is that the ip address that is usually provided is that of the ISP. But in this situation, the poster provided their actually ip address, not that of the ISP.  They provided the key to their home when they provided their gateway address.

Now what can I do with all that info?  Well let's say I was a black hacker (not all hacker are bad) and you upset me on this board or any board for that matter, because I would be able to track everywhere you go on the net with this type of information provided. What I could do with this type of information is limitless. Average internet users don't know how to protect themselves and truthfully many don't really need to worry about someone hacking their system.  Average users don't have anything I would want if I was a black hacker. Except for one thng......can you tell me what that one thing is?  If not this conversation is over.  If you do know then I can almost bet your earlier response would be edited.  

Have a nice day.

0 Likes
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

MrsMark, I'm sorry to say, but you are grossly misinformed as to the nature of IP addressing and NAT as used in home routers.

It really does not matter if someone gets a hold of your external IP address when all it points to is the WAN-facing side of the router. At worst, all they can do is send a denial of service attack your way, but Verizon would block that. They can't figure out who you are or where you live, because Verizon will not release that information without a subpoena (and sometimes, not even then, as illustrated by their actions when the recording industry got thousands of subpoenas trying to identify "John Does" who they had seen sharing music online.)

Knowing internal IP addresses is useless because they simply cannot be seen from outside the home network. That is what routers do; they physically separate the internal network from the external network while still allowing limited communication between them. Besides, nearly everyone has an internal network with addresses in the 192.168.1.x range; that IP address range was specifically reserved for internal networks with no direct access to the Internet. There are only 255 addresses in that range; it would take seconds to ping all of them and find which ones have computers... assuming an attacker could even get inside the network, which they can't
(unless they drive up to your house and access the network over Wi-Fi or something... but if that happens, you're already in a world of trouble.)

If you were a "black hat hacker" and you had my IP address, you still wouldn't be able to track my actions online. You'd have to find a way to infiltrate Verizon's plant and install snooping software there if you wanted to do that. Good luck getting past the multiple levels of security.

To conclude, there is nothing in either of the OPs screenshots that is sensitive in any way. His external IP address is public information. His internal IP is worthless to any attacker (and if they were in a position to need such information, they wouldn't need him to post a screenshot to get it.) His MAC address is equally worthless; we already know he has an ActionTec router, and that's all the MAC address signifies.

In short, he has nothing to worry about from posting those shots, and frankly, it's disingenuous for you to claim otherwise.

ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Just a reminder folks that the guidelines ask you to remain respectful and courteous to all, regardless of whether you agree on any given issue.

0 Likes