Something must be wrong ....
cincyreds

I just switch to FiOS Internet/TV. Moved internet from Cox to FIOS. 20/5 plan.

Running all speed tests show roughly what I expected (19.7/4.7)

However ... in "real" world browsing and email, my connection is painfully slow.

When browsing the web there is typically a 5-15 second delay before pages begin loading. Many times it's more than 15 seconds. Once the page starts loading, the speed seems fine, but there is ALWAYS a delay.

When checking email, typically it takes anywhere from 1-2 minutes to check 5 POP3 accounts. Very often times out or outright fails.

With Cox there was no delay when loading pages and email checking was lightning fast (checking all 5 accounts usually took less than 5 seconds).

I've had brief moments where email checking was fast and there was little to no page delay, but 99% of the time everything is slow/delayed.

The page delay is consistent across web sites. Every single site/page I browse seems slow.

For example, just pulling up the page to make this post took a minute and half before anything was displayed.

I'm running Vista 32 SP1.

Router is Actiontec MI424WR.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated because at this point I'm seriously considering moving back to Cox for internet (I haven't yet canceled my account with them). I had a 15 meg plan with Cox and the same speed tests which produced 19.7 on FIOS gave me over 30 with Cox. I certainly don't expect 30 meg download speeds on my 20/5 plan, but the slow page loads and email connections are making me pull my hair out!

Thanks,

🙂

Dean

0 Likes
Re: Something must be wrong ....
Techman28
Master - Level 1

There are a few things that I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Have you ran a spyware scan?

2. Virus protection software change?

3.  Has a defrag been tried?....I defragged my computer the other day after I was getting slow page loads and now works fine I also cleared my cache and temp internet files as well

chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

One thing to research on these boards is how Verizon and the actiontech router handle DNS.  Some people have seen better results by modifying  the dns server setting.

Also the router has a very small DNS table so power cycling the router sometime helps.

Wish I could be more specific I've only been on these boards about a week so I don't know my way around just yet.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@chartle wrote:

One thing to research on these boards is how Verizon and the actiontech router handle DNS.  Some people have seen better results by modifying  the dns server setting.

I was experiencing the same thing at times, although never that bad, so I think the above suggestion is very much worth trying. I switched from Verizon's DNS servers to OpenDNS. Made a pretty big difference. Go to www.opendns.com and give it a try, just make sure to write down the DNS addresses already in your router before you replace them. OpenDNS is free, you do not have to sign up if you don't want to, but if you do register there are some nice tools available that you might want to use. You can experiment without changing the router by putting the addresses in your Windows settings, but then the new DNS address will only apply to that PC (not an issue if you only use one PC).

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
cincyreds

No spyware, viruses, etc. System totally clean - I'm very **bleep** about that.

I'll try the above suggestions after I get back from work tonite and report back. Thanks!

0 Likes
Avenger
Enthusiast - Level 3

"I had a 15 meg plan with Cox and the same speed tests which produced 19.7 on FIOS gave me over 30 with Cox."

You had 30 mb with a 15 mb plan? Cox must be very people friendly.

0 Likes
cincyreds

> "I had a 15 meg plan with Cox and the same speed tests which produced 19.7 on FIOS gave me over 30 with Cox."

>> "You had 30 mb with a 15 mb plan? Cox must be very people friendly."

Right before the tech came over, I ran a couple speedtests and was getting about a 30-32 for download.

After FIOS was installed he ran the same speedtests (from the same server) and I was getting about a 19.7 - which was fine considering I was on the 20/5 plan. I told him I had just run this same test earlier and was getting over 30 and he really didn't have much to say.

I think I'm just lucky as far as Cox goes. I'm probably on a pipe which gets relatively light use. I'm in Rhode Island and even running the speed tests to San Francisco was still giving me about 16-17. The 32 was on the NYC server.

0 Likes
cincyreds

@Justin wrote:

<snip> I switched from Verizon's DNS servers to OpenDNS. Made a pretty big difference. Go to www.opendns.com and give it a try

Justin, thanks for the followup. Igave OpenDNS a try (both by router and Windows settings). Connection still slow and email checking times out constantly.

I'm calling VZ in the morning and letting them know they can either fix it (and quick) or I'll simply switch back to Cox. I'm online all the time and simply don't have time to spend 30 minutes doing things that I used to be able to do in 1.

What's REALLY weird is that I'm still getting 19.7 download speeds (speakeasy.net), but web browsing, email and virtually any other every day usage of the connection (bittorrent, rapidshare) is doggedly slow where they used to be smokin' fast.

Oh well. Whatever the problem I hope they can fix it quick. Any other ideas would still be appreciated.

Cheers,

🙂

Dean

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Are you running any Internet security suites such as McAfee or Symantic?  If so, try turning them off and see if there is a difference.

Microsoft came out with a HOtfix that is suppose to resolve speed issues   After you make these changes, you will need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.     CLICK HERE

Here is the registry tweak:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\
  3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  4. In the details pane, type TcpAutoTuning, and then press ENTER.
  5. Right-click TcpAutoTuning, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, click Decimal under Base.
  7. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  8. Close Registry Editor.

If you feel uncomfortable messing with the registry, here is a great site that gives you a walk thru in Dos  CLICK HERE

0 Likes
cincyreds

As for AV, I run CounterSpy, but have disabled it while trying to figure this all out.

I've already attempted all the registry hacks, etc (tcpautotuning, etc. etc. etc.) - pretty much everything shown on this page (which actually has some very usefult tips and guidelines).

Nothing has improved and I've given up trying dozens of combinations of settings,reboot, retry, etc.

I called Verizon and they could not figure it out over the phone, so they are sending a tech out Sunday to check the ONT and other hardware. If the tech can't get it working Sunday I guess I'll just return to Cox. If the situation gets fixed I'll report back with a resolution.

Thanks,

🙂

Dean

0 Likes