Speed Upgrade - Coax or Ethernet?
mikesn1va
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know a lot of variations of this question have been asked and answered but almost everyone's setup is different.

I have only Internet service - no TV or telephone. My house has coax runs. ONT is I-211M-L and router is G1100. Presently 100/100 over coax. Have ordered an upgrade to 200/200. While I can run my own Cat6 ethernet cable from the ONT and through my crawlspace, I will have to relocate the router location and drill a hole through the hardwood floor (for the new router location) I have read the maximum speed over coax is 100, or actually 130, but that is due to the 1.1 MoCA version in the ONT.

My question, can I run a short ethernet cable from the ONT and install a MoCA 2.0 network adaptor to continue use of the house coax at 200/200?

Thanks for any responses!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Speed Upgrade - Coax or Ethernet?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, but you'll need two adapters.  One at the ONT and another at the router.  You can't have any other MoCA adapters on the coax network, as the WAN link from the ONT only supports one device (the router.)

This configuration is not supported by Verizon.  Not a big problem if you're okay managing your own equipment.

If you can run Ethernet between the ONT and router, that's the preferred setup as it reduces complexity and latency.

Another option is to put the router within Ethernet distance of the ONT, and then use the router's MoCA LAN to feed other devices in your home.  You can setup as many as you like, subject to the MoCA device limits.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, but you'll need two adapters.  One at the ONT and another at the router.  You can't have any other MoCA adapters on the coax network, as the WAN link from the ONT only supports one device (the router.)

This configuration is not supported by Verizon.  Not a big problem if you're okay managing your own equipment.

If you can run Ethernet between the ONT and router, that's the preferred setup as it reduces complexity and latency.

Another option is to put the router within Ethernet distance of the ONT, and then use the router's MoCA LAN to feed other devices in your home.  You can setup as many as you like, subject to the MoCA device limits.

mikesn1va
Enthusiast - Level 1

The run is approximately 50 feet and I ordered a pre-made 75-foot Cat6 cable. I will prob stick with an ethernet run. I was only asking as I really hate to drill a hole in the floor - it is an outside wall with blown insulation so I will not bother trying to install an ethernet jack. Only the kid's Xbox and the feeding eero 6 mesh wifi will be direct LAN.

Thanks for the reply.