Streaming Video Issues
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

When is Verizon going to fix their streaming video issues? It's downright pathetic that a full fiber network often has struggles with services like Steam, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and others.

Really, what's the point of paying all this money each month for "high speed internet" when the connection performs like crap. It's ridiculous how long this has been a problem too and still Verizon has done nothing.

0 Likes
Re: Streaming Video Issues
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Steam's having issues? At least in my area, Steam has absolutely no problem. Double check what download region you're pulling from (pick it not based on geography but based on where your data is ending up. For example, Toronto is closer to me than New York City is, but NYC is closer path-wise than Toronto) and make sure you're not bottlenecking on Disk I/O now that Steam doesn't use Cache files for the games.

As for YouTube and Netflix, I have no advice short of suggesting a VPN for these. Yeah it shouldn't be needed, but in the grand scheme of things neither Google or Verizon tells us where the problem is publicly. When the problem is either at the peering point or in Google's network, I'm led to believe it's a Google problem. For Netflix? Verizon doesn't have to contribute to Open Connect (in essence remaining a NEUTRAL provider) but it would be nice to have since Netflix would be paying for the equipment. Can't say so much for the bandwidth though.

0 Likes