Suspicious Email from ?Verizon Notifications?
LauraS1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone just received an email from Verizon Notifications with the subject:

"Changes to Veriizon online terms of service effective April 19, 2011"

I haven't opened it.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Suspicious Email from ?Verizon Notifications?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Considering they have it posted in the announcements section of the main site, it appears to be legit. If you would like to go directly to the announcement and avoid the email, here's a link: Effective April 19, 2011 - Important Information Regarding Changes to Your Verizon Online Terms Of ...

It also appears you can get the latest announcements by going to http://verizon.net/announcements

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Considering they have it posted in the announcements section of the main site, it appears to be legit. If you would like to go directly to the announcement and avoid the email, here's a link: Effective April 19, 2011 - Important Information Regarding Changes to Your Verizon Online Terms Of ...

It also appears you can get the latest announcements by going to http://verizon.net/announcements

LauraS1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've bookmarked the announcements page.

Thank you.

Gem4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Everyone NEEDS to read this TOS!  I'm reaching out to my legislators and state attorney general.  They assert a right to access your computer NOT just traffic flowing across the network.  That's called invasion and trespassing in any other context.  Also, they can lock you out of your router.  Although probably well intentioned, they provide no protection at all to you the end user in explaining when or why or to what extent they have invaded.  They simply promise to tell you they made changes after the fact!

Smiley Mad 

Justin46
Legend

@Gem wrote:

Everyone NEEDS to read this TOS!  I'm reaching out to my legislators and state attorney general.  They assert a right to access your computer NOT just traffic flowing across the network.  That's called invasion and trespassing in any other context.  Also, they can lock you out of your router.  Although probably well intentioned, they provide no protection at all to you the end user in explaining when or why or to what extent they have invaded.  They simply promise to tell you they made changes after the fact!

Smiley Mad 

Oh for heavens sake! Did you actually read the changes? The changes say they can access the router, not your computer.

The router is a box that Verizon provides to you, containing programming Verizon provides. And Verizon can update that software in the router and have been doing it for years. All the TOS change is about is that they can make sure that you haven't left the password of the router a simple default ("password" or "password1") that can easily be hacked, and change that password if you have. Verizon actually did this some time back, the only people affected were those who had left their password as the default. And what they changed the password to was the serial number of your particular router. And they sent out emails telling people they had done that.

This is for your protection to ensure someone can't hack into your router and redirect your traffic to nefareous sites!

Keller, TX 76248

Gem4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you?

"You agree to permit us to access your computer and Equipment and to monitor, adjust and record such data, profiles and settings for the purpose of providing the Service. You also consent to Verizon's monitoring of your Internet connection and network performance, and to our accessing and adjusting your computer and Equipment settings."

Protecting the network by disconnecting you at the router is one thing, going beyond the router is a whole different matter and a very slippery slope. 

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Gem, you have conveniently left out the most important part of that quote and took it completely out of context.

We also will access and record information about your computer and Equipment's profile and settings and the installation of software we provide. You agree to permit us to access your computer and Equipment and to monitor, adjust and record such data, profiles and settings for the purpose of providing the Service. You also consent to Verizon's monitoring of your Internet connection and network performance, and to our accessing and adjusting your computer and Equipment settings, as they relate to the Service, Software, or other services, which we may offer from time to time.

If you are going to get upset, and if you want to try and justify your position with quotes. Try quoting accurately. They are talking about the Verizon software and other services that Verizon provides, if you have this software, they MUST access you computer by definition.

And for those interested, here is the entire segment of the TOS he is talking about

Monitoring of Network Performance by Verizon. Verizon automatically measures and monitors network performance and the performance of your Internet connection and our network. We also will access and record information about your computer and Equipment's profile and settings and the installation of software we provide. You agree to permit us to access your computer and Equipment and to monitor, adjust and record such data, profiles and settings for the purpose of providing the Service. You also consent to Verizon's monitoring of your Internet connection and network performance, and to our accessing and adjusting your computer and Equipment settings, as they relate to the Service, Software, or other services, which we may offer from time to time. We do not share information collected for the purpose of network or computer performance monitoring or for providing customized technical support outside of Verizon or its authorized vendors, contractors and agents. Verizon reserves the right to modify the password(s) for the router(s) used with the Service in order to safeguard Internet security, the security and privacy of Subscriber information, where required by law, and/or for other good cause to provide, upgrade and maintain the Service, protect the network, other users of the Internet, or our Subscribers. Should Verizon change such password(s), we will use reasonable means to notify the Subscribers affected, which may include email to a Primary Email Address on file and/or through notice on the Website.

fs201104240

Justin, regarding this message/thread --

THE REQUEST

Would you help get this to the right place in Verizon?  I dread engaging in another several months of trying to resolve.

I, too, got the bounce on:  "Changes to Verizon Online Terms of Service - Effective April 19, 2011"

It was only delivered today, having been POP'd to my correct email address.

I have a problem, once again, with the email address Verizon is using to reach me.

THE BACKGROUND/CONTEXT

It took me MONTHS to update my Primary Email Address. Apparently,  at the time I was attempting to make the change, you folks were consolidating login credentials for verizon.com and verizon.net, thus causing the delay, it seemed. 

The problem, months later, after dozens of support request email cyclings, finally resolved.  Bounces to me alerting me to the availability of my monthly bill now go to my Primary Email address, the only one on file in my Profile.

It had been working nicely for several months.

BUT ...

The bounce I received today for "Changes to Verizon Online Terms of Service - Effective April 19, 2011"  on this topic went to my OLD email address.  I responded to the last "KMM" ID message, so I could attach a PDF screenshot to show that the Primary Email Address on file was correct, and that that was the only email address listed.

As I said, I dread having to engage in another several-month process just to correct an email address.  I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you.

FS

0 Likes
vdev
Enthusiast - Level 2

II am not a lawyer but if you've had any legal experience you will know that the "and" here is an open door.

"You agree to permit us to access your computer and Equipment and... "

Verizon nowhere restricts itself to accessing your computer ONLY for the monitor/record/adjust/etc purposes in the next clause. 

The next sentence is even worse ...

You also consent to Verizon's monitoring of your Internet connection and network performance, and to our accessing and adjusting your computer and Equipment settings, as they relate to the Service, Software, or other services, which we may offer from time to time.

So this says that they can ADJUST YOUR COMPUTER to, for example, provide much better service for Verizon VOD and degrade Netflix performance.

Would they do this - I don't know. but these new ToS certainly permit it.

Hopefully Verizon will realize that this ToS change is very VERY badly worded and re-do it. I don't think that the dire possibilities mentioned above are their intent but the ball in in their court to clarify exactly what they do and do not intend to permit. And I'm sure the PSC is paying attention already.

vdev
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Justin,

Verizon's intent may well be to avoid "default passwords" and I have no issue with that.

But the new ToS are much broader than just "changing a default password on the router".  And that is why so many of us are upset.

Your understanding may well be Verizon's intent and, if so, I'm waiting for them to publish it in the ToS. The ToS as released so far are way broader than just changing a default password.

Ball's in Verizon's court now ...