Track replacement modem?
SJWDJ

on April 30th i talked to a rep that ran a line test and determined i needed a replacement modem. I had not gotten it and on Tuesday the 19th i spoke to another rep to find out the order was canceled. After a long and very frustrating conversion i got them to resubmit the order (or so they said) now i open the email to look at the order and review it and get sent to my Verizon page but there is no link to be found to find order info there. i open up chat window type order history get the order status link click that and it just takes me back to my Verizon page again. I need to make sure my modem is coming this time and is not canceled again. I need it im paying a lot for the upgraded package and am unable to use my old modem for more than an hour at a time. I have to use my hot spot through a different carrier if i want to stay connected more than an hour (and that limited data) any advice? i would rather not talk to verizon again unless i have to cause to get help with DSL is annoying. 

0 Likes
Re: Track replacement modem?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Q1 Which old modem do you have?

For example the Westell 6100

Q2 Why not go out and get a modem that is designed for Verizon but from a regular retail store?

For example I went to Wal-Mart and got the Actiontec GT784WN.

Comment: I know the answer to this next question.

Q3 Why not to go out and get a modem that is designed to work with any DSL provider, including Verizon?

A3: If you need help/support with it, be aware that Verizon will help/support you either by:

a) Only pointing you to the Brand/Vendor of that other modem (phone number, website, ETC..)

b) Or if they do not point you to them, they will charge extra.

0 Likes
SJWDJ

Q1 Which old modem do you have?

actiontec gt784wn

Q2 Why not go out and get a modem that is designed for Verizon but from a regular retail store?

they told me since i am paying a fee per month to rent his one they would replace it free of charge including shipping and return of the old one

Q3 Why not to go out and get a modem that is designed to work with any DSL provider, including Verizon?

your answers but as well as its very hard to find an "unlocked" modem/router (routers are easy modems not so much) cause everyone is using FIOS (not available where i live) or cable internet through Cox (really bad reviews among the neighborhood. 

I am however at my wits end and about to buy a used one on ebay (i know a 50/50 chance if it actually will work through ebay) but i dont know what else to do i am paying for the upgraded package and its not cheap and not o go into boring details but this virus is hurting my wallet slightly i really cant afford to pay more money than i have to. (was a "gig" worker so my income was badly effected)  

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

While you have that old modem combo (modem+router all in one), the following questions.

Q1: Do you have your own separate router?

For example when I was on DSL, not only did I have Actiontec GT784WN I also had the Linksys E4200 hardware version one.

Comment/Note 1: Even if it is not in use, you must say yes. For example, yes but not in use.

Do you have any spare computer that works that has at least two NICS?

Comments/Notes 2:

a) If it does not have two NICS, then you must be able to add a second NIC.

b) At least one of the NICs must be a wired NIC.

0 Likes
SJWDJ

Q1: Do you have your own separate router?

no i do not

Do you have any spare computer that works that has at least two NICS?

I currently have 2 laptops along with a hardwired desktop both laptops have wireless AND Ethernet connection if thats what you mean by NICS none of my machnes have a slot to add another NICS

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

Just wondering..

When this issue is happens, does it reboot all by it self?

And after it reboots if it does: If you check memory via the Actiontec status page (192.168.1.1 -> Status -> Gateway Utilization), you see memory usage of 40-something percent just after a reboot?

If the LAN IP address is not 192.168.1.1 then sub it in for the LAN IP Address.

0 Likes
SJWDJ

yes it reboots all by its self but its not just the rebooting i will have INSANELY slow speeds for days like less than 1mbps download when i was getting 10mbps before all this started to happen. i will go down and pull the phone line from the modem and then plug it back in when this happens and it will bounce back up to 10mbps for an hour or 2 before going back down to .50 and then an hour or so later rebooting and i say rebooting but what happens is my machine and my partners machine (if she has it on) will disconnect from internet for a minute tops then reconnect so i think its a bad fitting in the phone jack line i have no looked at the memory in my gateway so i am uncertain of that but ISP goes from connected to connecting  

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi SJWDJ,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary and may be delayed at this time. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes