Trying to Move Router, Can I Put a Switch Where the Router Is?
mhaston
Enthusiast - Level 2

A few years ago a tech came out and probably did switch me to Ethernet.  I have the setup with the white CAT6 coming into the house and into my router and everything is great.  

I'm trying to move my router into the center of the house.  Right now the OTN ethernet comes into my router just a few feet away on the inside wall.  Can I put a switch there instead of the router, so I can connect other devices in that room, and then run a CAT7 cable to my router in it's new location in the center of the house?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trying to Move Router, Can I Put a Switch Where the Router Is?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

To do what you want to do using a standard switch is not possible.

You could do it with two configurable switches that understand VLAN's in which case you could create two layer 2 separate non-routed VLAN's -- one to carry the "external" side of the router's traffic and one to carry the "internal" side -- which one switch on each side of a single trunk run between rooms.   But unless you immediately understand the terminology I describe above, then this is likely not the path for you.

Two lines  -or- one line and one on MoCA (Coax -- bonded 2.0 will get you 1gb) (which is still two lines) is the route you should go.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mhaston wrote:

A few years ago a tech came out and probably did switch me to Ethernet.  I have the setup with the white CAT6 coming into the house and into my router and everything is great.  

I'm trying to move my router into the center of the house.  Right now the OTN ethernet comes into my router just a few feet away on the inside wall.  Can I put a switch there instead of the router, so I can connect other devices in that room, and then run a CAT7 cable to my router in it's new location in the center of the house?

Between yes and no, it goes like this.

You can put a switch there but you can not connect anything else other than the power supply to it, the ONT and the router.

You would need another switch that is connected to only to the power supply to it and the router.

We will have to see what others recommend to do, but in the meantime I have to give more info.

There is two main kinds of network media.

Wired and Wireless.

For wired network media, there is the following network media.

a) Ethernet

b) Existing TV Cable called Moca

c) Existing Power Wire

d) Existing Phone Wire and I am not talking about Pots Dial-Up or DSL. There is something for LAN use.

e) There is also Fiber wire but for a home network, this is not typical and not needed.

mhaston
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm just trying to avoid running a line from the OTN to the router in the middle of my house and then all the way back into the bedroom next to the OTN so I can hard-wire a switch in that room.  There are a few things I prefer hard-wired.  PS4, TVs, computer that uploads/downloads lots of files.

If I have to run a line and then back again, that's fine.

Thanks.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

To do what you want to do using a standard switch is not possible.

You could do it with two configurable switches that understand VLAN's in which case you could create two layer 2 separate non-routed VLAN's -- one to carry the "external" side of the router's traffic and one to carry the "internal" side -- which one switch on each side of a single trunk run between rooms.   But unless you immediately understand the terminology I describe above, then this is likely not the path for you.

Two lines  -or- one line and one on MoCA (Coax -- bonded 2.0 will get you 1gb) (which is still two lines) is the route you should go.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure if the OP has the issue solved or not, but because what was posted points them to the correct direction of what to do I am marking this as solved.