Using my own router
efanh

I've been thinking of switching to using our own router, and I've been doing research but I'm a bit confused on one part. All of the guides I've seen have given steps for if you have a Coax connection, or an ethernet connection already plugged into the back of the existing router, but I have not seen a step regarding both.

I have both plugged into the back, so does this mean I don't have to worry about the extra Coax cable step and just follow the guide for having the ethernet cable?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using my own router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have both Ethernet and Coax plugged to the ONT, you are likely subscribed to TV services. If the MoCA light on the ONT is unlit, then your Internet is already delivered on Ethernet, no need to "switch from Coax to Ethernet."

With TV services, both Coax and Ethernet need to be remain connected. The Linear TV signal delivers on the Coax from the ONT, and the MoCA network delivers on the Coax from the router. I don't recommend using your own router when you have TV services. If you'd like to upgrade your WiFi, consider buying standalone access points. Enterprise-grade access points are similar priced with average home routers. For example, Cisco 140AC 802.11ac, priced at $93, from CDW. https://www.cdw.com/product/cisco-business-140ac-wireless-access-point/6285173

Cisco Catalyst 9100 series support WiFi 6 but are much more expensive.

Actiontec and Verizon offers MoCA-based extenders too. Since you want to use your own router, I think you are probably not a fan of ISP technologies. Actiontec WCB6200Q offers 4 x 4 MIMO 802.11ac. I think the performance is acceptable.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

If you have service for tv you will need the Verizon router to receive your tv.

if you have internet and are provisioned for ethernet then you can use any router you like as long as it is a router capable of stand alone internet.

what I mean is sometimes you will have to still use a Verizon router for service and that defeats what you want. Look for a newer router that does not need to be used in access point mode (AP Mode) some netgear routers cannot do stand alone internet access so they and others are not a good choice. There are routers like asus and to link archer that work perfectly. Simply unplug the power cord to the Verizon router, then unplug the Ethernet cable and then plug in new router and then Ethernet and it should grab the signal and should work with Fios.

but not if tv and phone are going to be used. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have both Ethernet and Coax plugged to the ONT, you are likely subscribed to TV services. If the MoCA light on the ONT is unlit, then your Internet is already delivered on Ethernet, no need to "switch from Coax to Ethernet."

With TV services, both Coax and Ethernet need to be remain connected. The Linear TV signal delivers on the Coax from the ONT, and the MoCA network delivers on the Coax from the router. I don't recommend using your own router when you have TV services. If you'd like to upgrade your WiFi, consider buying standalone access points. Enterprise-grade access points are similar priced with average home routers. For example, Cisco 140AC 802.11ac, priced at $93, from CDW. https://www.cdw.com/product/cisco-business-140ac-wireless-access-point/6285173

Cisco Catalyst 9100 series support WiFi 6 but are much more expensive.

Actiontec and Verizon offers MoCA-based extenders too. Since you want to use your own router, I think you are probably not a fan of ISP technologies. Actiontec WCB6200Q offers 4 x 4 MIMO 802.11ac. I think the performance is acceptable.