Using netgear router/modem
asteerman

I was told I could use another brand router/modem with Verizon dsl broadband.  Unfortunately, I can't get an internet connection and Netgear won't help until I do and Verizon won't help because it's not their equipment.  Has anyone had this problem?

0 Likes
Re: Using netgear router/modem
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Question: If you use the Verizon-provided router/modem, can you get an internet connection?

If so, then it's isolated to settings within the Netgear.

If not, then there's something wrong with your line and you'll need to get Verizon to troubleshoot with their modem/router in place. Once the connection is working you can try with the Netgear again.

0 Likes
asteerman

Will Netgear talk to me about this.  When  I called their service, they would not talk to me unless I had an internet connection.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@asteerman wrote:

Will Netgear talk to me about this.  When  I called their service, they would not talk to me unless I had an internet connection.

That's why you have to make sure the Verizon equipment works. If the Verizon equipment works, then you HAVE an internet connection. You should be able to take the exact same settings and put them into your Netgear router. If you are unable to, Netgear should be able to help you.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I do not know what the brand and model of this modem, I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

0 Likes
Re: Using netgear router-modem
Lynfidel
Enthusiast - Level 2

netgear router-modem works fine, least as well as the Verizon Westell equipment did. That is to say, the problems aren't with the modems, it is with the DSL service - ancient lines and switches. The only problem with using the Netgear equipment is that it gives Verizon Tech Support an excuse to not deal with the line problems, even after it is established that the problems exist with Verizon equipment. Netgear of course can't help, because the problem isn't with the Netgear equipment.

0 Likes
Re: Using netgear router-modem
DeKqlOne

Had the same problem, then somehow, after Netgear & Verizon's Ping Pong game (I was the ball) frustrating days later. Leaving it powered up the entire time. The darn thing kicked in one day when I came home from work! Oh yeah, the very night before, the concerned, dedicated, and professional Staff at Netgear convinced me to purchase their "PREMIUM TECH SUPPORT" for only $99 a year, imagine that? Hang on, it gets better! So then I fall for Magic Jack! MJ arrives in the mail finally, now I,m gonna get hooked up! Plugged it in and I had VIOP! A few days later, VIOP Op's Out, and Netgear DGN2000 goes with it. I,m positively certain, that it has to be my three teenagers, not Verizon, Netgear, nor Magic Jack, whom have conspired against me to ruin my HiTech aspirations. Oh well, some guy in Maryland, input (0) in the VPI setting, in ADSL menu, on Netgear's DGN2000 Router On line support Web site, which comes up when you load the CD, the default setting is (8). Hey, if you ever need spare parts for your DNG2000, your more than welcome to have the one I've purchased, seriously, it even comes with Netgear's "PREMIUM TECH SUPPORT" package! For absolutely nothing, I'll even pay the shipping cost. Don't get tangled up in the NET! Bye.   

0 Likes