VPN Cisco AnyConnect FIOS internet issues
CCkeys

I had Verizon Fios installed today 05/13/14 at home.

I have TV and home internet. I work from home with my work laptop that I VPN to Cisco AnyConnect. My TV and 3 laptops are good. My kids ipads and all of our phones are good. But my VPN keeps disconnecting about every 5 to 10 minutes on my work laptop. I have to log back in and it works for awhile but then it says it has been disconnected again. I contacted my IT department and they checked everything and they said it has to be on the Verizon Fios install. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

0 Likes
Re: VPN Cisco AnyConnect FIOS internet issues
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

What brand computer are you using?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use Cisco Anyconnect over FiOS for my work, and I don't have any problems.

I use wired Ethernet.  If you're using WiFi, try a wired connection to see if that improves things.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
CCkeys

It is a Dell Laptop

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Are you having this problem both wirelessly and hardwired or just wirelessly?

0 Likes
CCkeys

It is wireless. My Modem/Router they provided me is upstairs and my laptop/desk is downstairs. I have the Modem/router on the railing upstairs where I can see it so nothing is blocking it. I had Time Warner for five years and it worked perfect with no problem at all. I only switched because Time Warner kept jacking with my bill. So I decided to have Verizon Fios installed. Same set up with constant VPN disconnecting. About every 5 or 10 minutes it drops.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

As previously suggested test the stability of your VPN connection using a wired connection.

I run a VPN on my network and pass 50 Gigs a month and never have to reboot.

If it is the WiFi connection than get an Actiontec MOCA adapter and run your laptop using an Ethernet connection over coaxial.

VPN connections are processing intensive so even a slight WiFi glitch could cause the connection to drop.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I am leaning toward a bug in your wireless card using the fios. Try going to Dell's website and see if there is a new version available for download.

0 Likes
CCkeys

I had Verizon support on the phone and I plugged my computer in the router and it disconnected still.

They did determine that it is not the wireless that is causing it. But after being on the phone with them for 2 hours and 51 minutes we still havent got it fixed.

0 Likes
chzoom
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'd be curious to see the debug logs from the ASA when the disconnects happen. The ASA that the VPN terminates on should be able to provide some kind of details as to what is occuring when the disconnect happens. I find it unlikely that something specific to your location, or your FIOS router is causing the issue, but then again I have seen crazier things with FIOS.

I don't expect your IT guys to provide you the logs, especially if no one else is experiencing these issues.

Have you been able to figure out a pattern? Does the disconnects happen exactly at the 5 minute or 10 minute mark, or does it vary/is it random?

When you get disconnect are you actively doing work related things on the VPN or sitting idle?

p.s. the reply from your IT department is the IT norm, not surprised there 🙂

0 Likes