Verizon MI424WR upgrade
VAer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased the router from Verizon for around $100 in 2014, and it has lasted for more than 7 years.

My current plan is: 75/75, internet only. I have been using the plan for a long time, probably more than 2 years.

Internet speed works fine for me, the router works fine too. Since I purchased the router, Verizon will not provide a replacement.

Question: is there a need to upgrade the router? The key question is whether a new router can increase internet speed? If a new router does not provide any benefit, I will keep using current router.

What is alternative router? Not so expensive.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon MI424WR upgrade
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The reason for upgrading the router hinges on the points mentioned in the older topic.

The 424 is no longer receiving security and performance updates from Verizon and Actiontec. Recommend replacing the 424 with a 1100 or 3100.

Speedwise, having an old ONT will limit you to 75/75. Verizon no longer offers that speed. The slowest speed offered now is 200/200.

Current options could save you money. In order to know for sure....look at what your current monthly bill is, compare to what is Verizon is offering now, crunch the numbers and see what the end results are.

Verizon would like to get older ONTs replaced. So much so that they frequently waive the service call fee when replacing old ONTs with a current model. 🙂

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The reason for upgrading the router hinges on the points mentioned in the older topic.

The 424 is no longer receiving security and performance updates from Verizon and Actiontec. Recommend replacing the 424 with a 1100 or 3100.

Speedwise, having an old ONT will limit you to 75/75. Verizon no longer offers that speed. The slowest speed offered now is 200/200.

Current options could save you money. In order to know for sure....look at what your current monthly bill is, compare to what is Verizon is offering now, crunch the numbers and see what the end results are.

Verizon would like to get older ONTs replaced. So much so that they frequently waive the service call fee when replacing old ONTs with a current model. 🙂

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Adding to Dexman:

You can buy a used G1100 from Ebay for cheap, i.e. less than $40. Make sure you buy the G1100 came with the VZ firmware and from a seller with a good return policy. When you receive the unit, please immediate contact VZ support to verify the unit is not an unreturned rental unit.

Modem upgrade?
VAer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

What are the steps for upgrading modem on my own?

Mine is MI424WR, which is old. I got it from Verizon in 2014 (paid it off, not rental, so it belongs to me), since I am the modem owner, it is unlikely that Verizon will replace it.

Therefore, I have to upgrade on my own, if I choose to upgrade modem now.

A few questions:

1) I think my current plan is 75 Mbps, which has been quite a while, the expiration date is early next year. I don't want to upgrade the plan now, since current plan price is quite reasonable. So with such plan, is it worth for upgrade modem now? I think I will upgrade my plan when current plan is expiring.

By the way, I have been using Google WiFi for years too, Google WiFi app shows the speed of 83.1 Mbps download / 88.0 Mbps upload. In general, is the speed fine? Since it is remote job, I am somewhat active stock trader.

2) If I am upgrading my modem now, which modem is good (with reasonable price)? Can Verizon system automatically recognize the new modem? I plan to buy it on Amazon.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Modem upgrade?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just a quick clarification...Verizon FiOS does not use modems. The device is a router.

The 424 is very much obsolete. Neither Verizon or the manufacturer Actiontec support it or provide updates.

There are two routers currently being supported by Verizon. First is the older 1100 and the other is the current 3100.

The 1100 can be purchased online for around $40. Having said that...the time when it too will fall out of support will be at hand especially after Verizon rolls out the successor to the 3100.

The 3100 is the current router provided by Verizon. It too can be purchased online, but it will cost more than the older 1100.

Seeing that your Internet speed is 75 up & down has me believing that you have an older ONT that Verizon is actively trying to replace with a newer model. Once the new ONT is installed, you'll have access to faster Internet speeds that could cost the same as your current 75/75.

My take, upgrade the router now and, when the times comes, upgrade your selections & ONT. 🙂

VAer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for correcting me, ok, it is router.

By the way, what does ONT stand for?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT = Optical Network Terminal. It takes the signal delivered by the fiber Optical cable and splits it to be used by a router, a television and a telephone. 🙂

Now one more note....If there are no plans to subscribe to FiOS TV, you can go with a third party router of your choice.

Before going all in with Verizon FiOS equipment, I used Linksys routers behind our FiOS routers. I eventually decided to go with a 3100 router and three 3200 extenders. My Linksys units were donated to my church and are still in use today. 🙂

Just out of curiosity, could you post a picture or two of the Verizon ONT at your location? Once uploaded, the pictures are queued for Moderator approval. Once approved, they will appear for us to see. 🙂

VAer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.