Verizon Sent My Replacement Router to the Wrong Address; Now Saying They'll Bill Me for It
Guy53

On Saturday, my cable modem started rebooting spontaneously, every hour or two. When I called Customer Support on Monday, they said it was unsuccessfully trying to install new firmware, and would keep rebooting for the foreseeable future. Customer Support agreed to send me a new modem; I was to get it on Tuesday, 12/10.

When I checked the UPS status site on Tuesday afternoon, it said the cable modem had been delivered to my house at 11 AM on Tuesday. It hadn't, at least not to my address. When I called Verizon, the agent told me they wouldn't send me another one as they'd already sent it to me. When I pressed the point because my home network still wasn't up, the agent told me my only option was to drive 20 miles to a Verizon Fios office and exchange my bad cable modem for a good one. I did that last night (3 hours of my time, $6 in gas). So after four days my home network is back up. That's good.

The bad news is I was told at the Verizon store (and my earlier call) that I would be charged for any unreturned cable modem (my guess is $100). In other words, according to Verizon I have the missing modem ("We sent it to you, sir; and you seem to think it's not your job to track it down. If I were you, I'd find it."), and so will be charged for it. I called UPS this morning, and discovered that they delivered the cable modem to the wrong address -- it went to River ROAD rather than River STREET. They have started an investigation, and if it turns out the cable modem is lost, they will reimburse Verizon. My question is, How do I notify Verizon that UPS lost the modem, so that Verizon should be getting the cost from them, not me? Given the unhelpful nature of the Verizon agents I've dealt with (the common refrain is, "I'm sorry, I can't help you with that, sir"), I know I will be charged for the missing cable modem unless I can figure out who in the Verizon bureaucracy to talk to. Any suggestions?

The funny thing is, several weeks ago I was considering paying Verizon for the 100 Mbps Internet service. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to avoid paying $100 for a cable modem I don't have when I close out my Verizon service and move over to Comcast in the next several weeks. It's going to be a pain to move, but frankly, I have better things to do than deal with "that's not my job" people for hours on end.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Sent My Replacement Router to the Wrong Address; Now Saying They'll Bill Me for It
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board. you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

Re: Verizon Sent My Replacement Router to the Wrong Address; Now Saying They'll Bill Me for It
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Guy53,

We have closed your private support case due to you not responding. We hope our elite team was able to take care of your issue.

- Jose_VZ

0 Likes