Very poor Wifi
revinit1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Fios internet and TV. ActiontecMI424WR Rev. I router with coax connection to ONT. I pay for 75 mbps service. My wired connections are great, often 100 mbps up and down. I used to get 60 mbps + with my wifi connections but now it's an abysmal 20 dowm and 10 up. 

I have gone through all troubleshooting steps many times. I've spoken with Verizon tech service. I haven't added any new 2.4 gigahertz devices to my home and I get the same poor wifi regardless if there are 15 devices connected or only my 1 laptop. I am considering adding my own router to handle wifi duties and believe it should work because my wired signal is very good. However, since the Actiontec router worked well for a long time, I'm wondering if replacing it with a new Actiontec might do the trick. Is it possible that the Actiontec has gone bad in some way?

Any help appreciated as this is very frustrating.

0 Likes
Re: Very poor Wifi
jonjones1
Legend

If you were using the Quantum Gateway Router I would say replace it with your own router and turn off the WiFi on it. However your using an Actiontech so I don’t read of too many WiFi issues with it. 

First thing to try would be to just unplug it and wait 5 minutes and then plug it back in. This may reset the WiFi radio. If that doesn’t fix the issue I would then call 1-800-VERIZON and have them replace it. If the replacement works then problem solved.

now you could get your own tri band router with mimo and place it in access point mode (AP mode) via following the instructions for your owner owned router. It is an easy set up. Then access the Verizon router and turn off the WiFi on it since it is not needed. Your new router will handle IP address assignments and the Verizon router will only get dhcp to the net. 

This way if you still have the Verizon router in place you still can get tech support when needed.

revinit1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you.

If I add my own router will I run my wired connections through it or through the verizon router? 

Will I have double NAT issues with 2 routers?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Hi.

actually I would try and get off of coaxial MOCA internet and on ethernet.

the new installs Verizon Fios is doing is to make them all ethernet. 

If you keep the actiontech as primary you can use the MOCA connection for your tv services. Your ethernet would run from the ONT to the wan port on the actiontech, the ethernet cable from the available lan port to the wan port on your owner supplied router which then in access point mode with handle like I said the ip assignments.

your available lan ports are still available on the Verizon router and your own router.

i would recommend a powered switch to get more lan connections on your owner owned router. 

Verizon will flip a switch over to ethernet if you call and request it. However not knowing if your ONT is new and up to date they may need to send a technician out to swap you over. The installer will know how to keep your network in tact 

0 Likes
revinit1
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I wasted another 30 minutes of my life chatting with Verizon tech. He says if wired connection is good then router is working as it should and there's no reason to exchange my router for a new one. If the wifi signal is weak it's probably because there is too much interference in my house and it's not Verizon's problem. THEN he tries to sell me faster service. Unbelievable!

So I bought a Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 and hooked it up. BINGO! Download speed went from 20 to 84 mps and upload went from 15-110 mps! So basically Verizon knows their router is junk but they're going to blame it on your cordless phone and microwave!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Just like I told you. They cannot tell a customer or potential customer that the WiFi is crap. But google is your friend. It can tell you what others won’t 😀

glad it all worked out.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its possible that your new router chose a different channel than the FIOS router did.

And that can make a huge difference.

If you really feel like checking and have an android device do the following:

Instal WiFi analyzer app on android (doesn't work in i* devices).

Then compare channel that each router chooses.

If Netgear is different, try setting FIOS router to the same channel and check performance.

If you have an area with lots of wifi, changing channels can make a big difference.

0 Likes