Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Wake on LAN with Actiontech MI424wr Router
Mercenary2051

I posted this by mistake in the DSL forum, sorry.

. I've set up Wake on LAN for the purpose of powering up a media server that handles all my video and picture files. I have it working fine within my LAN but I've run into a problem when I use it from outside, meaning the internet or my cellular network. The Actiontech MI424WR router does not let me port forward the broadcast address so I worked around this issue by creating a static entry in the ARP table that passes the "Magic packet" to the broadcast MAC of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. See http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16041 for the details.

This technique works fine but unfortunately, the ARP entry will not survive a router reboot or power down. From what information I've been able to find, it may be possible to create a startup script in the router that will re-create the ARP entry upon bootup. I've contacted Actiontech but they said I needed to speak to Verizon support. I contacted Verizon support and they gave me a number for the Verizon Expert Care Team. I'm kinda smelling a runaround so I figured I'd post the question here before I made any more calls.

If you read that link I posted, theres an interesting alternative using a second router and changing that router's MAC address to all "F"s but not many routers will allow you to do that, at least not the two I have. Anyway, if someone knows how to create a startup script or has an alternate solution, I'd be most interested in seeing it. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Wake on LAN with Actiontech MI424wr Router
rikeman
Enthusiast

did you find any solution on this?   I am on the same boat as you.  If you have the script can you post how you did it? 

0 Likes
rikeman
Enthusiast

By the way if you are still interested here is my solution...

Just change the IP, username and password.  Save this file to filename.vbs and Schedule a trigger (Daily Task, on PC startup) to run this script and you should be good to go

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.run"telnet 192.168.1.1"

WScript.Sleep 1500  WshShell.SendKeys"username"  

WshShell.SendKeys("{Enter}")  

WScript.Sleep 1500    

WshShell.SendKeys"password"  

WScript.Sleep 1500  

WshShell.SendKeys"system shell"  

WScript.Sleep 1500  

WshShell.SendKeys"arp -s 192.168.1.254 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF"  

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"exit"  

WScript.Sleep 1500  

WshShell.SendKeys"exit"  

WScript.Sleep 1500  

sal23

does anyone recieve this error while running this script?

Expected end of statement

line: 3

char: 20

code: 800a0401

0 Likes
TALONTRAX11
Enthusiast

Great solution . . . ! That script works like a champ ! I dropped it in in my windows 7 pro x64 all programs startup folder so the script runs @ boot up. Also have a shortcut on the desktop incase I reboot the router manually for whatever reason. Thanks for the good work & share . . .

0 Likes
TALONTRAX11
Enthusiast

Btw . . . I fixed the line 3/line 5 error . . .

Try this with your login/password info & correct ip & mac info.

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.run"telnet 192.168.1.1"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"username"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"password"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"system shell"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"arp -s 192.168.1.254 00:00:00:00:00:00"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"exit"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"exit"

WScript.Sleep 1500

0 Likes
todivefor

This is an old topic, but hopefully someone will respond.  I have actiontec model mi424wr rev i and cannot get wol to work.  I have followed all the directions in the DSLREPORTS link, but still cannot wakeup my computer.  I am running Mac OSX 10.10.  I have wake for network access checked in system preferences.  In the article, it says to notw mac address and IP address, but no where in the directions are they referenced.  I am trying to wakeup my computer at 192.168.1.208, but have only referenced the unused IP address (192.168.1.254) with the broadcast MAC address (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF).  Obviously people have gotten this to work.  I will address the router reboot issue once I am able to get this to work.

0 Likes