Want to own router
Zombie105
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

Im trying to buy my own router to avoid paying rental fees. I have FiOS TV phone and internet. What do I need to do to install my own router? 

Do I need to install moca bridge from the modem and connect that to the router? Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Want to own router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First thing is making sure your WAN connection from the ONT is on ethernet. If your internet speed is 150 mbps or more then it definitely is on ethernet. If not you will have to run ethernet from ONT to the new router and call Verizon switch from MoCA to ethernet.

Now in the past you would have to release you IP in the Verizon router but that seems to have changed because I don’t have to do it anymore when I switch from my Verizon router to my own router.

Next you will also need a MoCA adapter for the TV. Take a LAN port from you new router and plug into the ethernet port on the adapter. Take the coax from the Verizon router and also plug that  into the adapter. Reboot STBs and you should be good. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First thing is making sure your WAN connection from the ONT is on ethernet. If your internet speed is 150 mbps or more then it definitely is on ethernet. If not you will have to run ethernet from ONT to the new router and call Verizon switch from MoCA to ethernet.

Now in the past you would have to release you IP in the Verizon router but that seems to have changed because I don’t have to do it anymore when I switch from my Verizon router to my own router.

Next you will also need a MoCA adapter for the TV. Take a LAN port from you new router and plug into the ethernet port on the adapter. Take the coax from the Verizon router and also plug that  into the adapter. Reboot STBs and you should be good. 

JJKiv
Contributor - Level 1

You can buy a Verizon G1100 Router on ebay for $60 or less.  Then just swap it for the one your renting.  If you do that you do not need to change anything.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure that any used router you buy is truly a Verizon router.

Frontier uses a similar router with different firmware.

And it may not be 100% compatible with FIOS service.