Westell 327w and Cisco PIX
harddrive747
Enthusiast - Level 3

I posted something similar to this in the FIOS category, but I need to ask the same type of question for DSL.

I currently have a site the had a DSL connection using a westell 327w.  It works terrifically.  However, we want to make a change because of other issues.  We want to bring in a Cisco PIX or ASA firewall to the location.  So the set up will be this.

DSL ----> 327w Modem ----> PIX Firewall

I know that will work with setting the modem in bridge mode so that IP address of the Internet will be on the firewall.

Now what I want to do is this.  I want to be able to use the other Ethernet ports on the 327w and the wireless so that they are behind the Cisco firewall.  Physically it would look like a loop, but logically it wouldn't because of VLAN's.

I tested a few things on a 327w that I have because I shutdown DSL in favor of FIOS.  I can set up the VLAN's on the WAN port and the other three Ethernet ports and am able to ping everything.  However, I am unable to manage the 327w because the IP address isn't in the VLAN that I need it.  Apparently the IP address of the switch stays in VLAN 1 and I don't see anyway of setting the IP address of the private or public to a specific VLAN.  I may be missing something.  I was using Verizon's interface on the 327w.

So can I bridge the DSL port to Ethernet port 1 on VLAN 2 and then keep the other ports in VLAN 1 so that I still have management capability behind the firewall?

If so, I would like to know the steps to make this happen or would it be easier to buy a single port DSL modem and have it pass through and then use the 327w as a switch/wireless access point.

Thanks for letting me know.

0 Likes
Re: Westell 327w and Cisco PIX
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps this modem combo uses the red and black fimware that the Westell 6100 uses.

In that case, follow: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

0 Likes
Re: Westell 327w and Cisco PIX
Lynfidel
Enthusiast - Level 2

You should be able to solve this using a static routing table entry on the PIX machine for the managed devices on VLAN1.

0 Likes