Why is speedtest.net only showing 100 mbps? I got a gig
Createmore4me

So I just tried my download speed and it said I am getting what I should be for the gig internet but when I tried speedtest.net it shows 100 mbps. I just tried downloading a game which is sims 4 from origin and I am getting about 11.50 MB / sec which should be faster then that so I am sure that the verizon test is lying to me bout getting 940 Mbps  

0 Likes
Re: Why is speedtest.net only showing 100 mbps? I got a gig
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things:

1) How are you testing? Only acceptable test is via ethernet connection to speedtest.verizon.net

2) If you are hardwired, what device and router are you using? If device and/or router only has 100M port speeds, then that is the fastest you will see.

0 Likes
Createmore4me

I am running wired. I am using the fios gateway and it seems I am running at 100M but my nic supports 1GB. I have this motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H170A-GAMING-PRO/Specification

I have this cat5e connected also. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RCEAB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

In you check nic speed what does it show?

If only 100, then have to fix it to get higher speeds.

Windows or Linux?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Ookula does not count in verizons speedtesting. Only there own site which I can see is within specs.

i see someone already told you about your nic card, the device you claim is capable of up to 1 gigabyte speed. That would make me think that maybe a faulty device, or could be a faulty router, or it could simply be a false speed reading from verizons Test server.

try a different computer, test that and see what your results are. Borrow or have a friend with a blazing fast system test it at your home. Then compare results.

0 Likes
Createmore4me

Yes I also have a seperate another pc that was built with an asus z170-e motherboard and same results because for some reason the router is not outputting 1 Gbps. Google the motherboards because my main computer has a msi h170a gaming pro motherboard and I tried macbook pro(no ethernet port) and still same **bleep** 100 mbps. I can't believe I can't even get what I am paying for.image

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

This is just a thought. Take the wan off “automatic” and see if that helps. Also why is LAN port 1 off? Turn it back on.

like I said you seem to be getting the advertised up to speeds for gigabyte service.

device speeds are not guaranteed.

also disable WMM and QOS on any router(s) you are using.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

From what I am reading, rotuer is negotiating with devices that are directly connected down to 100M.

Check those devices and see how they are set.

I have had some issues in the past with two devices fighting each other.

May have to try different combinations of auto and fixed to see how to get devices and router each to be 1G.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Usually autonegotiation issues are cabling problems. The OP will need to be careful if they lock the Ethernet ports to a fixed rate as this can cause duplex issues, if the device at the other end isn't set accordingly.

0 Likes
Createmore4me

I don't know if this will tell you but it says it can run at 1 gbps but when I select 1 gbps I can't connect to the internet anymore and I have tried moving my cable to port 1. I just want what I am paying for as I know my computer is not the problem.  I have even tried putting the wan port on 1000 full duplex and still no change in speed. Do you think if I move to cat7 cable it might help? Says it can run up to 10 Gbps  https://amzn.to/2qqGYWZimage

0 Likes