Wi-fi vs. Ethernet connection
MajorSparky
Enthusiast - Level 1

My computer is connected to the FIOS router with an Ethernet cable.  The computer also has a built in W-Fi card.  When I boot up, it shows that I am connected to the internet through both the Ethernet connection and the wireless connection.  I am curious as to which connection is actually being used and if I should disable one or the other.

Re: Wi-fi vs. Ethernet connection
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your computer is using Wireless, simply disable the wireless radio when you are on Ethernet. If this is a laptop, there's generally a switch or a keyboard button/combo you can use to switch off the radio. Ethernet is the best connection to use. As to which Windows will use, it's dependant on whichever gets an address first, really.

Hubrisnxs
Legend
Ethernet is always stronger and more stable. If you have the option, then use the ethernet primary and only use wifi of needed
Hubrisnxs
Legend
If*
0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

As the previous posters indicated you should disable the connection you don't want to use.  By default when both connections are active the wired connection would be the connection used over the wireless.

Jim

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Like jumpin68ny said, if you computer has both, windows will default to the faster more stable connection. Thats usually the wired connection. And like they said, if it is a laptop, you will likely want to turn off the wireless when not in use. No need having it running when you have a wired working. It wont hurt anything to leave it working, but why tempt fate? Smiley Wink