WiFi Connect Utility for Mac?
DFWSky

I've been a FIOS customer for a few years now and was pleased when they added free hotspot access via the Verizon WiFi Connect utility, so I can access wifi at airports.    When the utility was first rolled out, it was only available for windows platforms, but I've continually been told - and seems many others have as well - that a version for Macintosh was in the works.

Now that I've made the decision to purchase an iPad,  does anyone have a true update as to when VZ will offer the wifi connect utility for iOS platforms?    I would think that with vz offering the iphone and ipad, that they would recognize the value of having the wifi connect utility for these customers as well.

I've tried calling customer service, and get transfered to tech support and of course they don't have any information.

Thanks for any information/suggestions (other than traveling with my pc!)

0 Likes
Re: WiFi Connect Utility for Mac?
Peter_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Unfortunately DFWSky, we do not have an eta on when the Wifi Connect will be available for Apple products. Once a date is made official we can post it.

Thank you

Peter C

0 Likes
DFWSky

Thanks for the response - but can you clarify whether this is even being worked on, rather than the same answer we've had for over 18 months? 

Since VZ now offers iPhone and iPad, seems rather odd that they wouldn't yet have the utility.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well for a question like that, you'll have to Share Your Ideas with Verizon so that you can get some kind of answer and timeline.

My guess is that if there is no timeline, it will be hard for them to answer that.  If you get it in the ideas exchange (and PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ASK FOR an iphone and droid APP too) then they can give an answer whether it's even on the table, or on the backburner or they just barely got the suggestion from you.   it will give you a better idea.

klb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Vz has been saying a mac version is not yet available for YEARS. I don't know why they don't admit that they don't care what their customers want -- they will only give you what they want you to have. They don't care what you want - especially if you use mac.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I honestly don't understand why the Wi-FI Hotspot service even requires a proprietary program to even use it. Any device with Wi-Fi can associate with an access point and should have a web browser built-in that can take care of authentication. While Verizon really has no Wi-Fi Hotspots in this area, most are open to the public with a simple walled garden page with the TOS and an agree button, perhaps it should be something that should be considered. It'd give anyone with a capable device access to it simply by logging in using a Verizon login tied to a master account that qualifies for Wi-Fi Hotspot services.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm with smith6612 here ... this should be a basic captive portal kind of thing where you can bind automatically and the first time you try to go anywhere with a browser you get prompted with a signin page like at most hotels -- where you can login with your Verizon email address and password for free wifi access.

I too have an Apple and an iPad and it's disappointing not to be able to access the wifi at airports -- although thanks to work I have a MiFi and simply use that instead.

I wonder if you could run a VM on the Apple (with a Microsoft OS inside) in NAT mode (if you're using VMware) and use it to establish the connection to the wifi which the Apple could native OS could then ride as well since it would be behind the same IP and MAC address?  Yeah ... I know that means extra software on the MAC and money to Microsloth, but might be an option.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That might work. It's possible the Verizon tool may work under WINE for Mac/*nix, unless someone else has tried it already.

Michael10023
Enthusiast - Level 1

It appears that VZ is using Boingo for wifi in other situations, so that should be a viable option.  There is a Boingo app for the iPad, so we iPad users should be able to get access also.  That iPad is so portable, I use it exclusively for travel.

ywlke
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure when this happened or if it's always been true, but you can use Verizon Wi-Fi with other devices now. See http://wyang0.blogspot.com/2012/01/verizon-wi-fi-f​or-all-devices-mac-linux.html