WiFi going bad after two years, Ethernet still OK
JugglersDad
Enthusiast - Level 1

I signed up for FiOs about two years ago, and they installed a MI424WR Rev. D router with WiFi.  Up until recently it's worked great, but over the past few days the WiFi has degraded horribly.  Half the time it won't handshake with any of the computers.  My wife and daughter have PC's, and I have a MacBook Pro, all with the same problem.  Using the Ethernet cables, everything works OK.

I've re-started the router numerous times, and while that helped a bit in the beginning it has no effect now.  I live in a single-family house in a neighborhood where the houses aren't spaced too close, and I've checked with my neighbors to see if anyone has installed anything that might be having this effect.  They're all pretty technically savvy (NASA engineers and physics PhD's for the most part), so it's a good bet there's nothing new installed within 150 feet of my house on the WiFi frequencies.  Of course, it's possible that some utility has a new monitoring device, but so far I haven't seen anything new on the local utility poles.

It's gotten so bad that we really can't use the WiFi anymore.  Also, the lights for the WiFi and Ethernet are constantly blinking at about four blinks per second, even when the computers connected to the Ethernet cables are turned off and there are no computers using (or at least trying to use) the WiFi.  When a computer connected to the Ethernet cable is on, the light blinks about twice as fast.

Do we need a new router?  I haven't done a re-set yet, mainly because the instructions are a bit confusing.

BTW, in checking out the posts for similar problems, I've read that a lot of people turn off their routers at night.  Is this a good idea, and if so, is it a really necessary thing?  I never turn my router off.  Should I?

Many thanks for all help,   -BC-

Re: WiFi going bad after two years, Ethernet still OK
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Follow these instructions and let us know if it helps.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@JugglersDad wrote:

When a computer connected to the Ethernet cable is on, the light blinks about twice as fast.

Do we need a new router?  I haven't done a re-set yet, mainly because the instructions are a bit confusing.

BTW, in checking out the posts for similar problems, I've read that a lot of people turn off their routers at night.  Is this a good idea, and if so, is it a really necessary thing?  I never turn my router off.  Should I?

Many thanks for all help,   -BC-

Lights blinking just means that there is some sort of traffic going on. Something requesting access or actual connection passing traffic. Its nothing out of the ordinary and nothing to be concerned about

I would reset. It may be that there is just some small glitch in the system that is preventing the wireless from working correctly. To reset you simply push and hold the reset button for 10 seconds(need paperclip, toothpick, or something similar). After you release the reset button the lights on the router should go off and then slowly come back. Once the internet light is on and green again, your all done.

No, dont turn the router off. Its not good for them. They are designed to be left on all the time. Occasionally rebooting or "power cycling" the router is good for it. But you just dont want to do it all the time. Also if you have Verizon TV service, the STB's use the internet to do their updates in the middle of the night and they need the router to do so.

JugglersDad
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did a re-set.  Just like with the channel change, it does OK for a couple of page loads, then slows down terribly.

Also, re: the lights blinking, they blink when NOBODY is on the WiFi.  Also, the Ethernet light that indicate individual connections blinks when the computer it is connected to is in sleep mode or even switched off altogether.  That should not be happening, as far as I can tell.

What is the procedure for getting a new router/WiFi from Verizon?  I'll contact support after I finish posting this, but if anyone could give any advice on the process it would be appreciated.  Many thanks for all help.   JD

Hubrisnxs
Legend

its real easy,  you just reach out to support at 1-800-VERIZON or use the Contact Us link to ask them.  let them know the steps you've done in a 1, 2, 3 and ask "is there anything I am missing, or do you think it's a bad router?"

pks4
Enthusiast - Level 2

MY wifi goes from 5 to 14 at best hard wired is good 35/35  cant figure it out tryd boosters antennas  repeater its not yhe signal its the download speed  u would think verizon fios would have the best wireless???????

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wireless is unfortunately what it is, regardless of the service backing it up. Ethernet is always going to be more reliable than a Wireless connection for both speed and stability I'm sure Verizon would recommend Ethernet any day over Wireless. Wireless G (which Verizon offers, N routers go to those on 150Mbps packages) maxes out around 20-22Mbps under good conditions, so don't expect to see anything past that. If you do, you lucked out for at least a little while. Keep in mind, Wireless is just a convenience. It's great for portability and sending something over distances, but that's it otherwise.

Oh, and as a heads up, Repeaters usually slow down the wireless due to how they work. They aren't too useful except for sending an existing signal farther. An access point or Radio Mesh would do a better job maintaining speed while extending distance.