Wierd VPN behavior
jdanna

I have a VPN server in my internal network, forwarded to the outside thru the actiontec fios router.

It works fine, but the wierd thing is, whenever i connect from a client machine, that machine becomes the only machine that can ever connect again - until i reboot the router.

Ive tried 2 different servers as the PPTP server and it behaves the same way. one client can connect, disconnect, and it works fine, but when i try to connect a different client, it just hangs like its not responding at all.

Reboot the router and wait awhile, and a different machine can connect, but then it becomes the only one that can.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm totally stumped.

0 Likes
Re: Wierd VPN behavior
jdanna

OK one quick update - it seems to start working with a different machine if you just let it sit for 30-60 minutes, even without restarting the router. 

0 Likes
jdanna

And one more thing - i just got home so i could test it locally. It's definitely a router problem, because 2 hosts can connect to the vpn server on the local network without any problems

It looks like the router gets mixed up with GRE, even though i have GRE forwarded to my VPN server.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you checked to see if PPTP Passthrough/ALG is enabled in the ActionTec? This could be potentially messing with your VPN connectivity if this is affecting the reaching of other machines in your network and not to the VPN gateway itself. The settings for that can be found in the Advanced section of the ActionTec, most likely under the name of ALG.

0 Likes
jdanna

I've got options for SIP ALG and MGCP ALG, but I thought those were both for VoIP. Both are turned off.

Would either of them effect PPTP or am i looking in the wrong place?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Neither option should affect VPN. There would be a dedicated IPSEC or PPTP option otherwise. The next place I would check if it is a problem with the ActionTec would be the Firewall. If you go to the Firewall Settings and check the logs, if you remember what times you were having issues with the VPN do any entries there coorelate with your attempts to reach another machine?

0 Likes