Will an Actiontec WCB3000N mate with my Verizon branded G1100 FIOS router?
m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Verizon branded G1100 (my own, not rented from Verizon) that I use for FIOS internet. The G1100 connects to Verizon's equipment via coax, not ethernet.

Can I buy an Actiontec WCB3000N (these are inexpensive on ebay) and connect it to a coax outlet that feeds a Verizon cable tv box (using a MoCA splitter, like this one on ebay)?

I know the WCB3000N is only 802.11n compliant, so it's not capable of the bandwidth the G1100 has (802.11ac compliant), but I'm just looking to extend my home wifi range and don't need to stream high resolution video to the parts of the house that currently receive only a very weak wifi signal.

0 Likes
Re: Will an Actiontec WCB3000N mate with my Verizon branded G1100 FIOS router?
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep, that should work. As the splitter says, the "MoCA 2.0: Coax Splitter meets specifications to support MoCA 2.0." That overlaps the frequency range of MoCA 1.1, which is what the WCB3000N supports. The G1100 will talk to the WCB3000N at MoCA 1.1 speeds which max out at 175 Mbps. Since 802.11n has theoretical speeds of up to 600 Mbps, you won't get the tops speeds out of the wireless signal using this setup. As long as you don't have too many devices sharing the WCB3000N, you may not even notice. The WCB3000Ns are dirt cheap though. I saw this price at WalMart.

One of the better explanations of MoCA and how it can be used that I've found is at TechPlanners.com.

If you think you might want to get a fuller version of the 802.11n wireless network speeds, another choice would be to use that splitter with a WEB6000Q02, but that's over 3x as much.