add wired DSL modem to a different jack??
diablo11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the westell wireless Verizon 7500 DSL modem in one room.  all connected and working.  I wanted to add another wired modem to another jack in a different room at a different desktop to get the  better a little faster wired connection.  how can I do that?  I have found an older wired westell wirespeed b90-36r5156-01 router, can i still use that? will it still work with the Verizon network, if so how do I hook it up I have no info how to access the router IP address home page if it even works with the newer Verizon settings

thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: add wired DSL modem to a different jack??
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Ok, you can use your dlink dir 615.

But first things first.

#2 When connected to the net with the Westell 7500, go to System Monitoring -> Gateway Status.

#3 If the Broadband Connection type is DHCP, record the MAC Address of the router (you will need this latter)

#4 If the Broadband Connection type is PPPoE,

a) for example as shown on page 167 out of 187 on https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/VersaLink7500UserG...

b) GO to My Network -> Network Connections -> Broadband Connection (DSL)

c) Record the PPPoE User Name (you will need this latter on). You will also, need to know the PPPoE password.

--

#4 Now, to replace the Westell 7500 with the your D-Link DIR-615 and the b90-36r516.

#5 After you connect the phone line, power line, and the D-Link DIR-615 to the b90-36r516...

#6 In the D-Link go to Setup -> Internet -> Manual Configure.

#7 If the connection type in the Westell 7500 was DHCP:

a) You need to type in the MAC Address of the Westell that you recorded, earlier.

b) Press Save Changes.

--

#8 If the connection type in the Westell 7500 was PPPoE:

a) Change the connection type in the D-Link to PPPoE.

b) Make sure that for the Address Mode, Dynamic IP is selected.

c) Enter in the user name that recorded, and type in the PPPoE password twice (Password, Verify Password).

d) Press Save Changes.

^^^

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 If you do not have two separate phone line (for example 610-868-0000 and 610-868-0001) number, you can not do that.

#2 Without getting a separate phone line, only one of those two DSL modem(s) can be turned on at a time.

#3 Without getting a separate phone line: Both computer(s) can connected to the same DSL modem by:

a) Existing power grid networking gear (for example, HomePlug)

b) Existing tv cable networking gear (called Moca)

c) Wireless

d) Existing phone line networking gear (called HPNA Phoneline Networking)

e) Ethernet cable

0 Likes
diablo11
Enthusiast - Level 2

if i want to just connect with just the westell wirespeed b90-36r516-01. what must i do to use this router,. if i still can.  Ive shut off the westell 7500 wireless.

with the other router shut off, i connect with just the b90-36r516-01 . i get an unidentified network and only connect with limited or no conectivity.  when i look in the details of the connection it give an ip address of 169.254.?.?

so i changed some off my settings to

ip address 192.168.1.1
defaut gateway 192.168.1.1

still cant connect and i dont know the router IP address for the b90-36r516-01 but ive been trying 192.168.1.1, didnt work

what can i do 

thanks 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@diablo1 wrote:

if i want to just connect with just the westell wirespeed b90-36r516-01. what must i do to use this router,. if i still can.  Ive shut off the westell 7500 wireless.

with the other router shut off, i connect with just the b90-36r516-01 . i get an unidentified network and only connect with limited or no conectivity.  when i look in the details of the connection it give an ip address of 169.254.?.?

so i changed some off my settings to

ip address 192.168.1.1
defaut gateway 192.168.1.1

still cant connect and i dont know the router IP address for the b90-36r516-01 but ive been trying 192.168.1.1, didnt work

what can i do 

thanks 

Ok.

#1 Your Westell 7500 is a modem combo (meaning a modem and router all-in-one).

#2 But your Westell b90-36r516-01 is not a modem combo, that is why you can not get access a web based screen.

#3 If you wanted to use the Westell b90-36r516-01 and have more than one computer be able to get online, I would recommend that you get a RJ-45 WAN port router.

a) For example of one the Linksys WRT54G.

b) By for example: This does not mean, that I am suggesting that you must buy that brand and model... Rolls eyes..

0 Likes
diablo11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just want to see if the b90-36r516 works on one computer to see if it works and if it does Im going to keep it,   if it doesnt Im going toss it..  so to see if it works, what do i need to do?  and what setting to set it at...

i have a dlink dir 615 but no r45 on that so its useless for this.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Ok, you can use your dlink dir 615.

But first things first.

#2 When connected to the net with the Westell 7500, go to System Monitoring -> Gateway Status.

#3 If the Broadband Connection type is DHCP, record the MAC Address of the router (you will need this latter)

#4 If the Broadband Connection type is PPPoE,

a) for example as shown on page 167 out of 187 on https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/VersaLink7500UserG...

b) GO to My Network -> Network Connections -> Broadband Connection (DSL)

c) Record the PPPoE User Name (you will need this latter on). You will also, need to know the PPPoE password.

--

#4 Now, to replace the Westell 7500 with the your D-Link DIR-615 and the b90-36r516.

#5 After you connect the phone line, power line, and the D-Link DIR-615 to the b90-36r516...

#6 In the D-Link go to Setup -> Internet -> Manual Configure.

#7 If the connection type in the Westell 7500 was DHCP:

a) You need to type in the MAC Address of the Westell that you recorded, earlier.

b) Press Save Changes.

--

#8 If the connection type in the Westell 7500 was PPPoE:

a) Change the connection type in the D-Link to PPPoE.

b) Make sure that for the Address Mode, Dynamic IP is selected.

c) Enter in the user name that recorded, and type in the PPPoE password twice (Password, Verify Password).

d) Press Save Changes.

^^^

0 Likes
diablo11
Enthusiast - Level 2

the b90-36r516-01 connected to the internet with the help of my dir 615 but it was at half the normal speed. I didnt have time to play around with it but is that normal for the b90 or was it something i missed in some settings somewhere?

thanks....

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@diablo1 wrote:

the b90-36r516-01 connected to the internet with the help of my dir 615 but it was at half the normal speed. I didnt have time to play around with it but is that normal for the b90 or was it something i missed in some settings somewhere?

thanks....

I do not know.

While you are on DSL with the top speed of 15 Mbps ( as addressed at http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-15-Mbps-Could-Be-Last-Copper-Upgrade-110138 ), you may find the thread at DSLR (http://www.dslreports.com) interesing that I pointing you to.

Thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25008235-My-battle-with-routers-to-get-passed-30Mb-s-barrier

0 Likes
jack123z
Enthusiast - Level 2

if you want to use your old modem . disconnect the 7500. create a dialer if youre connection type is pppoe ; or release/renew the wan ip if your connection is dynamic or DHCP. thats a"dumb" modem so it doest have a "gui" so that means it has no router address