connecting my Honeywell Lyric thermostat
romanvo

Hi, everyone!

Yesterday I got a new G3100 router and now I'm having a problem with connecting my Honeywell Lyric T6 thermostat.

The thing is that thermostat works only on 2.4G wi-fi speed. On my previous router from Spectrum i could choose two different wi-fi speeds when I tried to connect different devices. On my new G3100 either it's not possible or I simply don't know how to do it and I can't find any info about it.

Would I need a new thermostat that supports 5G?

Please, help. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: connecting my Honeywell Lyric thermostat
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, know that 2.4GHz and 5GHz are frequency bands.  There is much more to the differences between 2.4GHz and 5GHz besides speed.  2.4GHz has longer range, requires less power, and is older WiFi band.  Many low cost, low power devices, such as thermostats, only operate on the 2.4GHz band.

There is no reason to replace your thermostat, you just need to figure out how to get it connected to the G3100.

While I don’t have a G3100, I do know it likely starts up with the Self Organizing Network (SON) feature turned on.  When this is turned on, a single WiFi network appears that covers both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.  The router detects which band provides the best signal for a device and steers it to that band.  This works well for some dual-band devices to ensure they get the strongest and fastest signal as they move around.  However, some older devices many not work well with SON.  In that case, it’s best to turn it off and go back to two different networks for each band and let the device pick which to use.

You should be able to check the status of SON from the MyFiOS app or from the router’s web page.  If you find it’s turned on, try turning it off and then configure two different names for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.  Then, point your thermostat at the 2.4GHz band.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, know that 2.4GHz and 5GHz are frequency bands.  There is much more to the differences between 2.4GHz and 5GHz besides speed.  2.4GHz has longer range, requires less power, and is older WiFi band.  Many low cost, low power devices, such as thermostats, only operate on the 2.4GHz band.

There is no reason to replace your thermostat, you just need to figure out how to get it connected to the G3100.

While I don’t have a G3100, I do know it likely starts up with the Self Organizing Network (SON) feature turned on.  When this is turned on, a single WiFi network appears that covers both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.  The router detects which band provides the best signal for a device and steers it to that band.  This works well for some dual-band devices to ensure they get the strongest and fastest signal as they move around.  However, some older devices many not work well with SON.  In that case, it’s best to turn it off and go back to two different networks for each band and let the device pick which to use.

You should be able to check the status of SON from the MyFiOS app or from the router’s web page.  If you find it’s turned on, try turning it off and then configure two different names for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.  Then, point your thermostat at the 2.4GHz band.

Good Luck!

jonjones1
Legend

@romanvo wrote:

Hi, everyone!

Yesterday I got a new G3100 router and now I'm having a problem with connecting my Honeywell Lyric T6 thermostat.

The thing is that thermostat works only on 2.4G wi-fi speed. On my previous router from Spectrum i could choose two different wi-fi speeds when I tried to connect different devices. On my new G3100 either it's not possible or I simply don't know how to do it and I can't find any info about it.

Would I need a new thermostat that supports 5G?

Please, help. 

Make sure the self organizing network (SON) is turned completely off in the router.

since your thermostat is connected on the 2.4 Ghz band you simply access the thermostat per its instructions and connect to that band. Most devices like the last person stated don't really connect at the 5 ghz so once connected you should be ok.

that SON is total junk. Just turn it off.

MisterVince
Enthusiast - Level 1

Try this.. it was easier & faster. works on iPhone, not sure if it works on android.

DO NOT USE THE LYRIC APP… ITS A HEADACHE

on iPhone: Go to settings & click Wi-Fi, just as if your going to connect your phone to a wifi network. Make sure your phone is on the same network that your trying to connect your Lyric to. Then leave your phone open on the WIFI SETTINGS page.

Then go to the Lyric & click on MENU scroll to WIFI / WIFI SETUP. The Lyric will think for a minute and show a code example: Lyric C6FF24
Next you should see the Lyric with the same code pop-up on the WIFI page of your iPhone, asking to join your network. Click on it follow the prompt to allow the device to connect.

ones your lyric says its connected. Just back out of the settings menu & check your Lyric app to see that it is now connected.

This works on iPhone OS 14.2. I can’t guarantee this option is on older OS versions

fantasymojo

On a new Gigabit Fios (the one with the white tower router), I had to go into the router software, create a Guest network that ran on 2.4 GHZ, reboot the router, connect my phone to the 2.4 Ghz networ, and then the thermostat could connect to the 2.4Ghz network when doing the install. It would not connect to the default one.  Problem probably easily avoided by the HVAC company installing an older T6 model (that ONLY runs on 2.4 GHZ) vs the newer T9/T10s that can run on 5 GHZ.

Crazy and frustrating as the HVAC folks had no idea how to solve this.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes