dwindling high speed internet speeds on 7.1mbps turbo bundle.
mdizle

I recently upgraded from 3mbps to 7.1mbps and was impressed with the 600 kb/s downlaod speed until i used it for about two hours. It seems fine at 5:00 but then after using the internet for a while it slowly gets slower and slower until about 2 hours later i get about 120 Kb/s tops. Thats even slower then my old plan.  The speeds dont get back to normal until the next day, but the speeds never last long.  I do run speed tests to check and they always show a dramatic difference about 2 hours later from when i start using the internet at about 5:00. Is there any fix to this? It is very agitating to get slower speeds then before i upgraded.

0 Likes
Re: dwindling high speed internet speeds on 7.1mbps turbo bundle.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

0 Likes
mdizle

modem: WESTELL B90-210015-04 REV: E

Router: BELKIN F5D7230-4 Version 100

Firewall: none?

0 Likes
mdizle

Could it be because ive only had it for about 3 days now? or maybe neighbors are on?

0 Likes
Scruffy

Interesting that you say that.   When I speed test my DSL I get around 750 Kbps using Verizon speed testing and other vendors.  When I download an 1.5 hour movie ....it takes approx. 18 hours !  I almost dont even care about this ...all I need is to get a connection when I need it instead of when DSL decides to work. (see posting below re. Westell 6100 modem.) Good luck you will need as I have not had any with Verizon.

0 Likes
mdizle

sounds like you have it worse than me... what are you using to download the movie?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 We will deal with getting something called the modem status soon (as need be).

b) To get them when I (or someone else) request them, follow the FAQ that I am pointing you to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7553

#2 In your F5D7230-4, go to Channel and SSID.

#3 Is Wireless enabled in the router?

#4 In your F5D7230-4, go to Security or Encryption. Depending on what, the screens of your F5D7230-4 looks like..

example a) http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7230-4v7.01/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

example b) OR http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7230-4/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

#5 Is any Securty Or Encryption enabled (Two examples of that: WEP/WPA)?

#6 In your router, go to System Settings.

#7 If you do not have at least two game consoles behind this router, make sure that UPnP is turned off.

By two game consoles, I mean any two. Two examples of what a Game console is, would be Xbox, PlayStation.

0 Likes
mdizle

3) yes

4) example b

5) there is 64 bit wep

7) UPnP is disabled but i have a game console and i use my computer for games.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Follow the FAQ that I pointed you to earlier, and post the modem stats/status.

#2 Also, please be aware that WEP has been so badly hacked. It will take someone 1 to 2 minutes, to break in.

b) Please consider going to a higher wireless security level (such as WPA).

0 Likes
mdizle

I have not been able to get the diagnostic program to work.  I tried plugging the modem directly into my laptop.  Also thank you for the security tip.

0 Likes