g3100 router dropping out
Manchester1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded from the Quantum Gateway to the g3100. The Quantum network was very smooth. No issues. On the g3100, I get random dropouts. This appears when streaming music, or the kids playing playstation. The streams stop on occasion; dropout. The kids get kicked out of their online games also. When my wife is on her laptop, she gets kicked off the network on occasion as well.

Any help, advice? Im thinking of going back to the Quantum because we never had issues with it.

Also, g3100 does not seem to be noticeably faster

Re: g3100 router dropping out
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please read and answer all questions.

#1 Since you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

#2 It seems that you you lost connection to the Internet.

a) Is that correct?

b) Only - If that is correct: Did you also loose the connection to that NAT router?

#3 How are you connected to the network (Wired or wireless)?

b) Only if you are wireless: Does this also happen on wired connections?

#4 Do you have another NAT router (even if that other NAT router is not in use, you must say yes. For example yes but not use) ?

#5  Do you have a spare (not in use) computer that works, that either:

a) Has at least two NICs?

OR

b) You could add another NIC?

Note at one of the two NICs must be a wired NIC.

CYT1966

I am not original poster but I also had similar problems. I recently upgraded to a 200 Mbps plan with a rental G3100 Router. Connection sometimes drops on all devices similar to how the original poster described.

1. Do not have FIOS TV
  2. I would not have access to internet (Web pages won't load). The internet name and signal shows up but unable to connect to said internet.
  3. Wireless, I have not tried with wired connection.
  4. Yes, I own an older Verizon router but not in use.
  5. Do have a working spare computer but not sure about network interface cards. My spare computer I can use both wireless and Ethernet? (Simply plug in Ethernet cable)
0 Likes
polsciprof
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently upgraded to this router and Gig internet service.  We also keep having the dropping problem - doesn't appear to be associated with high demand, just randomly happens.  Other times it just slows down to ridiculously slow speeds (Verizon's speed test showing less than 100 mbps down and upload) sitting less than 10 feet across from the router.  Speeds are always high on test coming into the router, but not on any devices.  It sooooo frustrating.  Rebooting router typically helps, but getting sick of doing that multiple times a day.  Had trouble getting through to Verizon and have been dropped a few times.  Just finished a long call and they are sending a new router to see if it is problem with the particular device.  To the original posters here or anyone else with this problem, did you ever resolve it?

0 Likes
TheBeardNinja
Enthusiast - Level 1

Literally made an account here to sub to this thread.

Incoming long post...

I have the same router and the same problems as the others in here. The first one we got sent, wouldn't connect at all on boot up so they sent us another one. Now finally I have found people who have the same problem as me. The light on the router turns yellow when it has one of its moments of completely dropping out. I have it wired in to my pc because I game. My friends have literally gotten offline because this thing cuts out so bad when I play. My family can't enjoy a show on Netflix. It lasts for about 30 seconds and then comes back. But it's always unpredictable when it will happen. So I called Verizon, and they said to replace the coaxial cables and make sure they're good. I did everything myself because we are not having a technician come out during the virus and also am not paying $200 the rep told me that it would cost to do diagnostics and to pay the tech for their time. I replaced the coaxials and still cutting out. 

Verizon you really dropped the ball on this one hard. The black router we used to have was perfect before you upgraded us to this garbage. 

polsciprof
Enthusiast - Level 2

They are supposedly sending us a new version of the same router.  I will update whether it works better.  If not, I will get one of the other options.  When I originally placed the order for the service, the rep suggested I rent the router for a month to see if it improved the coverage range in my house and while I was reluctant, I am glad I did, because I can return it.  I'm almost ready to drop Fios t.v. so I can get a netgear router.

0 Likes
CYT1966

I contacted Verizon tech support to see if they could do anything. The person performed some "advanced commands" to reset the router. As far as I could tell this didn't help. I received a return shipping label today so I guess I should look for a cardboard box if I decide to send the router back.

0 Likes
CYT1966

Reply to TheBeardNinja

Same deal here, made an account to make contact with the community for this. I was looking at other threads with similar issues. I saw your post mentioned replacing coaxial cables, but do you know if there should be an Ethernet cable going from the Verizon box to your router? I only see the coaxial cable attached to mine but I saw a video describing that newer installations have Ethernet cable going from box to router?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

New FiOS installs, and any FiOS installation of 100Mbps and above use Ethernet for the WAN. In some cases, 100Mbps can be used with Coax, but Verizon is bumping this plan to 200Mbps or more in some areas and Coax won't do that well.

For dropouts, always test using Ethernet first to make sure the drop-outs are not occurring from there. If Ethernet is fine but Wi-Fi is acting up, start off by disabling the SON feature of your FiOS router. This disables the Access Point Steering and Band Steering features, as not all devices play well with these features. The other element you may want to do is set your router to fixed Wireless channels, in case it is changing channels on you for interference mitigation. Use channels 1, 6, and 11 for 2.4Ghz. Avoid DFS channels for 5Ghz unless you're 100% sure all of your devices support DFS, or you don't mind shoving the non-support devices onto 2.4Ghz Wireless.

One note: If you disable SON, your router will create a separate network for the 5Ghz radio to be used by devices. The name will still be named after your normal network name, but with _5G tacked onto the end. Connect your devices to this name for the best performance.

CYT1966

Thanks for the reply.

I realized I had a typo in my initial post. My current plan is 100 Mbps. I tried disabling the SON feature before but it didn't seem to work out as one of the two channels that I was expecting disappeared. I did mess around with the channels but I'll go back with your suggestions. Though I still have my old Verizon router I own, is it possible to swap that in to troubleshoot whether it is indeed some flaw in the new router?

0 Likes