google.com blocking all attempts to search with it?
jimmosk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Whenever I try to search for anything on google, it takes me to a screen that just reads "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later."

It also has a More Information link, which explains that they believe the IP address I'm connecting from is generating too many searches -- when I'm never doing more than a few a minute, at worst.  They say that my next step should be to contact my service provider. Before I get in touch with Verizon... has anyone here experienced the same issue, and is there a fix?  Thank you!

(this happens with both Chrome and Firefox. I'm on a Mac, running OS 10.6.8)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: google.com blocking all attempts to search with it?
jimmosk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm afraid I have an unhelpful "the problem fixed itself" report.  I tried clearing Firefox's cache, but clicking Clear Now didn't seem to do anything (the prefs screen still said "current cache size 350MB"). I restarted and had the same google block. Before trying to work on why the cache didn't seem to be clearing, I went to Chrome... and google was searching just fine. I hadn't cleared that cache, or in fact done anything with Chrome, so I'm guessing Google's lockout-timer had expired, and it was allowing me to search again. I verified that it was now letting me search google on Firefox as well.

So I'm not sure whether any of your suggestions would have done the trick; at the moment "just wait a while" seems to have been my solution. Unhelpful, I know...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Have you cleared your browsers' caches? If not, clear it, shut the browser down and start again.  You can also try rebooting your computer, and lastly, rebooting your modem/router.

0 Likes
jimmosk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm afraid I have an unhelpful "the problem fixed itself" report.  I tried clearing Firefox's cache, but clicking Clear Now didn't seem to do anything (the prefs screen still said "current cache size 350MB"). I restarted and had the same google block. Before trying to work on why the cache didn't seem to be clearing, I went to Chrome... and google was searching just fine. I hadn't cleared that cache, or in fact done anything with Chrome, so I'm guessing Google's lockout-timer had expired, and it was allowing me to search again. I verified that it was now letting me search google on Firefox as well.

So I'm not sure whether any of your suggestions would have done the trick; at the moment "just wait a while" seems to have been my solution. Unhelpful, I know...

0 Likes