Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
multiple router?
chldudghks
Enthusiast

I just had my service upgraded to a gigabit connection. I immediately saw the proper speed on my desktop via LAN. However, my laptop, on the other side of the house is only getting 100mbps which is 1/10th of the speed.

I know that wifi speed will always be slower and also the distance and walls, etc plays a role. I have a wifi extender but I feel like 1/10th of the speed is just.. too much.

Is it possible at all to install a second router so I can connect my laptop via LAN?

0 Likes
Re: multiple router?
jonjones1
Legend

@chldudghkswrote:

I just had my service upgraded to a gigabit connection. I immediately saw the proper speed on my desktop via LAN. However, my laptop, on the other side of the house is only getting 100mbps which is 1/10th of the speed.

I know that wifi speed will always be slower and also the distance and walls, etc plays a role. I have a wifi extender but I feel like 1/10th of the speed is just.. too much.

Is it possible at all to install a second router so I can connect my laptop via LAN?

You can buy an extender from Netgear that has a lan connection but make sure it’s a ac/a/g/b/n version. You could use a Verizon extender for a direct connection via its coaxial connection. Or even use a mesh device like googles. Or Netgears mesh but you will be spending money. 

0 Likes