multiple router?
chldudghks
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just had my service upgraded to a gigabit connection. I immediately saw the proper speed on my desktop via LAN. However, my laptop, on the other side of the house is only getting 100mbps which is 1/10th of the speed.

I know that wifi speed will always be slower and also the distance and walls, etc plays a role. I have a wifi extender but I feel like 1/10th of the speed is just.. too much.

Is it possible at all to install a second router so I can connect my laptop via LAN?

0 Likes
Re: multiple router?
jonjones1
Legend

@chldudghkswrote:

I just had my service upgraded to a gigabit connection. I immediately saw the proper speed on my desktop via LAN. However, my laptop, on the other side of the house is only getting 100mbps which is 1/10th of the speed.

I know that wifi speed will always be slower and also the distance and walls, etc plays a role. I have a wifi extender but I feel like 1/10th of the speed is just.. too much.

Is it possible at all to install a second router so I can connect my laptop via LAN?

You can buy an extender from Netgear that has a lan connection but make sure it’s a ac/a/g/b/n version. You could use a Verizon extender for a direct connection via its coaxial connection. Or even use a mesh device like googles. Or Netgears mesh but you will be spending money. 

0 Likes