myverizongateway.com is not a secure connection?
deadfreddy
Enthusiast - Level 1

This should have been in FIOS forum...

While using Firefox to login to myverizongateway.com I get a warning that the login is not secured. Both over ethernet and wifi.

Am I set up wrong or is there a larger issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: myverizongateway.com is not a secure connection?
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Rob's got the right answer, but I'd like to add a bit more. There is no actual web site, www.myverizongateway.com. Verizon didn't even bother (or have the good sense to?) to buy the domain. If you do a who-is search on the domain myverizongateway.com you will see it's owned by some cyber-squatter in China who wants $3,000 to sell it (presumably to Verizon).

The router has been programmed to watch for a request to myverizongateway.com (coming from the LAN - that is, equipment inside your house). When it sees one, the router returns the web site built into the router for setup and maintenance. It is the same as just typing in the IP address of the router as Rob said. You never actually make a request over the Internet; it's all done on your internal LAN connections, so there's no need to secure it.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it isn't secure.

But it isn't a security issue.

It provides a local connection to your router.

Its so people don't have to remember that router ip (which is also default gateway for all your devices) is 192.168.1.1

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Rob's got the right answer, but I'd like to add a bit more. There is no actual web site, www.myverizongateway.com. Verizon didn't even bother (or have the good sense to?) to buy the domain. If you do a who-is search on the domain myverizongateway.com you will see it's owned by some cyber-squatter in China who wants $3,000 to sell it (presumably to Verizon).

The router has been programmed to watch for a request to myverizongateway.com (coming from the LAN - that is, equipment inside your house). When it sees one, the router returns the web site built into the router for setup and maintenance. It is the same as just typing in the IP address of the router as Rob said. You never actually make a request over the Internet; it's all done on your internal LAN connections, so there's no need to secure it.

JohnM8888888

But how do I get into the gateway?  Is there an action I can take besides sitting on hold with Verizon IT?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You really should start a new thread, rather than adding to a three year old one.

https://myfiosgateway.com/ should resolve to your router.  If it doesn't you can try the standard IP address version:

https://192.168.1.1/#/login

Note that  you may get a warning about in insecure connection.  Don't worry about it; it's because the router uses a self signed certificate.

If you have any more questions, start a new thread.

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes