only my xbox and ps3 are slow on fios
wyliejd

Basically everything else works wonderfully but i've stumbled across an issue where my xbox 360 and ps3 have extremely slow connections on my fios network. if I run a speedtest on either of those systems I get around 1.5Mb/s. On my phone, ipad and laptop I get around 30 on wireless and my desktop gets 50. It's only my gaming systems that are affected.

I've tried:

moved from wireless to wired 

set static IPs 

forwarded any and all ports online I can find online to the xbox

put the xbox in the DMZ

checked that the actiontec router has latest firmware

reset router to factory defaults

unplugged the router for 2 minutes

tested the cable going to the xbox

changed MTU size then changed it back to automatic

I've done more but I can't remember what it was and resetting the router to factory defaults reverted those changes anyways. 

Something on the router or fios itself is limiting the speeds that I can get on my xbox and ps3 but I cannot think of anything else to try. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: only my xbox and ps3 are slow on fios
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are you using to gauge the speeds on your consoles? The built-in tests from my own experience tend to be pretty craptastic. A better measurement is to use an online service such as Netflix, YouTube, or a game demo download to gauge speed.

0 Likes
wyliejd

The new call of duty has a sort-of built in speedtest and it shows around 1.5Mbps. You can use the console's browser to use speedof.me or any other non-flash based speed test. As for things like netflix I'll often lose picture quality and sometimes it just says my connection is too low to play. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

What Model and Rev. of router are you using. With games and P2P connections the system will have multiple connections going at one time to many users. When running a speed test you are only connecting it to one server. Running the test on the PS3 or xBox360, those servers are going to be really loaded down. But if you had multiple connections at 1.5Mbps between many users, you may not see a difference. If your router is an older model, that could be an issue. If you have an Actiontec older than Revision E, that could be most of your problem. A Small NAT table will cause all sorts of issues when gaming. So the router plays a big part.

Since you did say you tried it with a hard wired connection, I would say it points to the NAT table in your router. If it is an older model, Verizon should replace it at no cost.

0 Likes
wyliejd

It looks to be revision D. What should I tell Verizon over the phone tomorrow to convince them I'd need a new router? Everything i've stated on here, the small NAT table being a problem or something else entirely. 

Thanks a lot for your help. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You could probably just walk into a verizon store and say your router is bad and you need a new one.  

www22.verizon.com/home/storelocator/

my recommendation though is grab a laptop or desktop pc and connect it to the same cable that the ps3 and xbox are connected to and then run a speedtest.  See if it's your stations or the cable connection/fios   

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@wyliejd wrote:

It looks to be revision D. What should I tell Verizon over the phone tomorrow to convince them I'd need a new router? Everything i've stated on here, the small NAT table being a problem or something else entirely. 

Thanks a lot for your help. 

I would say you have an older router, Rev. D and it locks up everytime you trie to play online games. As stated, you may be able to pick one up at a FiOS store. The Revision D, and older are being phased out for various reasons. If you had 75/35 service you may even be able to get a Rev I GigE router which is their newest, and may not be available in the stores.

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

I had a similar problem with my PS3.  I tried all sorts of things to improve it's speed but nothing worked.  Finally I broke down and got a MOCA adapter and coax splitter.  Now my PS3 runs at full speed - because it has a wired connection.

From what I can tell from lots of other postings like this the PS3 just has a really weak wireless adapter and there is no way to get around this.

Just Google "Fios actiontec moca adapter" and you'll find several placeas that sell them.  Note that you'll need a splitter and a piece of coax cable to connect it to your house coax.

prisaz
Legend

@bbinnard wrote:

I had a similar problem with my PS3.  I tried all sorts of things to improve it's speed but nothing worked.  Finally I broke down and got a MOCA adapter and coax splitter.  Now my PS3 runs at full speed - because it has a wired connection.

From what I can tell from lots of other postings like this the PS3 just has a really weak wireless adapter and there is no way to get around this.

Just Google "Fios actiontec moca adapter" and you'll find several placeas that sell them.  Note that you'll need a splitter and a piece of coax cable to connect it to your house coax.

OP

"

I've tried:

moved from wireless to wired

"

"

It looks to be revision D.

"

Verizon Tech Support will replace this OLD REV D. for free.

No Cost option. And a way to recycle the old Actiontec and use it as a MOCA adapter/Bridge.

They will tell the OP to discard the old one, but the old one can be used as a MOCA bridge with the MOCA WAN portion, and DHCP disabled. Games to the REV D. Ethernet ports, MOCA to the coax. Just be sure MOCA WAN, and DHCP is disabled on the old Rev D Router. The old router can then be used as a Moca bridge and NAT will not come into the picture. You will also need to be sure the old router has a lan address other than 192.168.1.1, because that will conflict with the new router.

0 Likes