router orientation for best signal to upper floor antenna?
pimmit

hello,

i have the G1100 router. it is located on the main floor of my house. there is a wifi

antenna on the second floor of the house located approximately 10' above and 30' laterally from the router.

what is the orientation of the antenna(s) inside the router?

what relative orientations might the router and 2nd floor antenna be to optimize signal strength between them?

0 Likes
Re: router orientation for best signal to upper floor antenna?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure what you mean by an antenna on second floor.

Do you mean a WiFi extender or repeater?

0 Likes
pimmit

it is the wifi antenna connected to a computer

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@pimmit wrote:

it is the wifi antenna connected to a computer

You are talking about a WiFi repeater? The FiOS Quantum Gateway has internal antennas so your repeater may have trouble getting and sustaining signal.

i use a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 top of the line, 4 external antennas, 4 internal which has beam forming and excellent range. There are other routers that have more range and can be cheaper. Putting one into access point mode might solve your issue. Or just get rid of the Fios router all together.

many years ago I used repeaters in a home via placing them outside the window. I also had more than one and the repeaters were around $15 but I don’t know if they still make them today. 

0 Likes
pimmit

1) is it not true that to use the internet with verizon fios you must use their router (G1100)?

2) if any router may be used, what would you recommend?

3) how are the antenna(s) arranged within the G1100 ? is there only one? if so, would it not be oriented in a vertical position?

vertical antennas have the best range laterally, much less above and below. for the best communication between two antennas, they should be parallel and on the same plane.

so, with respect to my situation, if i assume that the G1100 has only 1 vertically arranged antenna (vertically with respect to the router housing as it naturally sits on a horizontal surface), then i should tilt it so that an orthogonal plane passes through my second floor office.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You can use any router you desire.

I use a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 but you can buy a cheaper tri band router than $400 just compare at CNET or pcworld for routers that have better ratings.

personally I use ours in the bedroom and I use a repeater in the patio area but it’s not really needed in our case since we have a one level home and it’s a very great coverage wise.

i really don’t know how the internal antenna is on the G1100 but you could even buy a cheap router with dual bank or tri band and just use it in access point mode and see if the coverage improves. Even using a network repeater you may get the coverage you need.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here are some photos of the innards of the G1100: https://fccid.io/2ABTEG1100/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-2229455

Router was designed to be oriented upwards. Since it has multiple antennas, orientation shouldn't make too much of a difference whether horizontal or vertical.  Marginal improvements will come out of simply rotating the router 90 degrees.

0 Likes
pimmit

question is moot.

i finally decided to buy internet over the powerline:

the wifi speed was 12mps, these allowed 40mps!!

0 Likes