two actiontec routers for WIRELESS use
giantrobot

Hi-

I have read the other threads that I could find re: two routers but they all seem to pertain to something other than what I am looking for.

My problem: I have the FIOS big white box (is this the ONT?)  in my basement. I have the Actiontec router on the 1st floor in a room that is an extension (no basement access). I have an office in my basement and use the wireless from the 1st floor for interntet. The wireless signal from the actiontec used to be full blast in the basement but since I had the basement "redone" I now have literally no signal. My contractor thinks that maybe it is the double thickness drywall (soundproofing).

I called VZ and they offered me a new router, so that is coming in the mail. However, I am pretty certain it is not the router as my signal in the rest of the house is excellent.

Question 1) Can I hook ANYTHING to that big white box? Either my Mac that is down there via ethernet or a second Actiontec?

Question 2) I would love to have wireless down there. Can I have a second Actiontec down there that has either the same or a different wireless network?

Note: I do have a tv connection in my living room on the first floor. If it were possible to move my router to there and split the coax between the tv box and the router, I could possibly run a hardwire through the floor into the basement if that was the best way to get wireless down there again.

0 Likes
Re: two actiontec routers for WIRELESS use
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don't have ethernet wiring in the house then google ecb2200

You can put as many of these wherever you want to put a coax splitter and have a WAP.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just a point of clarification to viafax's comment ... actually, you're limited to a count of 7 devices (each STB, router, and ECB2200 count as one) in the way the network is setup.   To have more than that, you need to do some special isolation and bridging to form a second MoCA network on a parallel cable plant.  

Now, behind each ECB2200, you can place an basic switch with as many ports as you like, so you aren't technically limited to the number of physical devices -- just the number of actual MoCA interfaces.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hardwire is the best solution. 

Since you have a working TV outlet in that room, then the ECB2200 or HME2200 would do nicely. 

They are moca bridges, which means that you take the Coax in that room, and use a two way splitter (1000mhz rated when you buy it) and then one out goes to your TV, and the 2nd out on the splitter goes to this device. 

The device converts the internet over the coax, so on the other side of that adapter is an ethernet cable which you will in turn plug into a switch (cheap) or another wireless device.   If you can hardwire the whole room off the switch that would be ideal as far as performance goes, but if you need to be mobile down there, then you can put a wireless access point down there. 

This is a really good link for advanced configurations, the second you install another router down there or a WAP you will want some of these walk throughs. 

And here is a good FAQ on how to get ethernet in a room with only coax

The double insulation does make it real tough for wireless to get there, so you MIGHT have decent luck with a wireless N router, but that would be an experiment and may or may not work.  The above hardwired solution would yield the best results in my opinion. 

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@giantrobot wrote:

Hi-

I have read the other threads that I could find re: two routers but they all seem to pertain to something other than what I am looking for.

My problem: I have the FIOS big white box (is this the ONT?)  in my basement. I have the Actiontec router on the 1st floor in a room that is an extension (no basement access). I have an office in my basement and use the wireless from the 1st floor for interntet. The wireless signal from the actiontec used to be full blast in the basement but since I had the basement "redone" I now have literally no signal. My contractor thinks that maybe it is the double thickness drywall (soundproofing).

I don't have much to add as far as solutions. (Looks like the others pretty much have that covered anyway.)

I am curious though. Why did you put "redone" in quotes and why does it need to be soundproof? What exactly are you planning on dong in your, uh, office? Smiley Tongue