$600+ Directory Assistance charges - Verizon scam?
StanNYC

Background: I got the Verizon service as an internet provider, but was forced to sign on for the landline service, because they came as a package. I haven't used a landline phone in 10 years and don't expect to, I don't own landline telephones.

Issue: In January, I've noticed that instead of getting charged $60 for my internet service, I was being charged $250 in November '13 and another $250 in December '13. I didn't notice before because my payments were set on autopay. 

In January I called to terminate my account, as I was quite angry that Verizon was scamming me by all of a sudden raising my monthly payments from $60 to $250. During my conversation with a customer support agent, I was told that these were "Directory Assistance" calls. I told the agent to send me a full refund, she gave me some other phone number to call. I couldn't make the call for a few weeks, because they're 10 AM to 6 PM - surprisingly the hours when I work. 

I had a day off today and called the "finance" department, or something like that, to request the refund, plus I got another bill for January which was for $160. Is Verizon just charging me random sums of money?

After I called, I got transferred 3 times, and my final agent told me that no refund is going to be issues, they're legit charges and I'll be getting a $30 refund and that a supervisor is going to call me back.

Facts:

- I DO NOT HAVE A LANDLINE PHONE IN MY APARTMENT, NEVER HAD ONE. MY MOBILE PHONE SERVICE IS NOT VERIZON. 

Not to mention that a person would need to make thousands of Directory Assistance calls for them to cost $600. 

Dear Verizon, I will fight this, I will contact consumer affairs, I will use social media to inform the public of your "Directory Assitance" scams.

0 Likes
Re: $600+ Directory Assistance charges - Verizon scam?
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi StanNYC,

Sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue. Please remember to check your spam/junk folder if you do not hear from an agent.

0 Likes
HenryTS77
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you have Verizon FIOS for your internet and they told you you had to have landline service in order to get internet they lied to you. I just dumped my landline service and kept my FIOS Internet with no problem. I got sick and tired of getting nickle and dimed to death with all the taxes and fees - seriously Verizon - $4.50/month to keep my number unlisted - yeah right.

0 Likes
MrMatthew1
Contributor - Level 1
As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.
0 Likes