Access to Incoming call records
CraigS1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Reading the forum messages, it is apparent that Verizon, with all of their technology that we pay for, is unable to provide the security that we would like to have from telemarketers. I understand why, it's a revenue stream and there is no since "cutting off the nose to spite the face". However, we too are customers, and I am tired of it.

Here is what I want to know. How can a phone record of incoming calls be accessed to reveal the TRUE and CORRECT number used to call mine? Not the "spoofed" numbers that don't exist, or are "no longer in service", or don't "accept" incoming calls, we all know those Caller ID numbers are bogus or set up by the telemarketing companies to avoid giving them away and avoid litigation do to violating Federal and State laws.

Used to be your entire phone record of numbers called or received came as part of the phone bill, so I know it can be done.

0 Likes
Re: Access to Incoming call records
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as you think.  When caller-ID was developed, the Bell System was one big happy system. The telephone switches were all under the control of responsible companies.  The caller-ID protocol and system was setup assuming trusted entities through the link.

Since then, the telephone system has greatly diversified and merged with data communications.  Now, we have VoIP services that interconnect with telephone services.  There is no provision in the caller-ID system to verify the source of the data.  It is trivial for someone to use VoIP to feed bogus caller-ID data into the existing system.

This can be fixed with regulation by the FCC and money spent by the telephone companies, however in this economic and political climate it is unlikely.

Annoying realities of life in the modern era.

Integrity101

I, too, am trying to assist my 95 year old Captain in learning who a particular caller is that keeps calling requesting to borrow money, etc....  This person is leaving very strange messages and bogus phone numbers to call.  We call the numbers given and they are not in service.  This is not a telemarketer.  When it is an issues like this, is there anything we can do?  It seems likea private home calling.

0 Likes
scfilove1

Actually  that really isn't a good enought answer  since this day and age  or as you say modern era  should be able to protect the customer from masked number numbers 

i don't thing  verzion  or  any other phone company  would like to go back to the stone ages  where the customer say  to heck with the phones  who needs this  aggravations.

the time and money  is up to  all of your companies  and yes i understand  they are all different  but to protect  your interest don't you think someone should  say  hey lets get together and work just this part out . help our customer. the app is out there for consumers to use  to create masked number so there is a way  your company and other companies  can fight back. so  stop being children and work together to fix the problem  and not run away from it .

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes